Rusty Gas Tank

Sentinel

Threads
Hello folks. After cleaning my carb on my Briggs I found that the gas tank was all rusty inside. Any ideas on what I should soak that thing in? Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
white Vinegar usually does the trick... If you can get Evaporust where you're at, that works great too.

upupandaway

Threads
After you clean it out, if u want you can coat the tank so it won't rust again. I don't endorse it but i used the Por-15 tank sealer on my Snowbird many moons ago because after cleaning, it would keep rusting. I surely didn't want it to rust a hole in the tank.

Mower King

Threads
Hello folks. After cleaning my carb on my Briggs I found that the gas tank was all rusty inside. Any ideas on what I should soak that thing in? Thanks.
I have a few NEW B&S tanks if you can't restore the one you have.

Sentinel

Threads
After you clean it out, if u want you can coat the tank so it won't rust again. I don't endorse it but i used the Por-15 tank sealer on my Snowbird many moons ago because after cleaning, it would keep rusting. I surely didn't want it to rust a hole in the tank.
That's a good idea to seal it. I'll have to look and see what kind of sealer I can get here. I am pretty sure they have some sort of metal sealer at the hardware store. I doubt it will be Por-15 but will see what I can get. Have a great day and thanks for the help.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That's a good idea to seal it. I'll have to look and see what kind of sealer I can get here. I am pretty sure they have some sort of metal sealer at the hardware store. I doubt it will be Por-15 but will see what I can get. Have a great day and thanks for the help.
POR 15 is good and also look for Red Kote sealer

seattlepioneer

Threads
Normally I'd expect to remove any existing finish and sand before refinishing a rusty piece of metal. Obviously that's not practical with a fuel tank ---but what kind of prep work can you do before refinishing?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Normally I'd expect to remove any existing finish and sand before refinishing a rusty piece of metal. Obviously that's not practical with a fuel tank ---but what kind of prep work can you do before refinishing?
I think he means the inside of the tank.