RSD exhaust burning lawn?

DaveOhio

Forum Newbie
Threads
That answers that question. I've been wondering why all of a sudden (since I got my new mower) I have what seemed like random brown spots. Thought it might be a fuel leak. It all makes sense now. They're in places where I've had to stop and open a gate or whatever. Thanks for the info! I would have never thought of heat from the muffler. I will be calling my dealer on Monday.

RetiredGuns

Threads
Well I found out another handy feature of the heat shield. I drove my mower next door to talk to the neighbor. He has a slightly inclined driveway and I for some dumb reason slammed the levers forward real fast and stood the Raptor up about 3 feet until the heat shield acted as a wheelie bar. No damage beyond some scratches on the shield, but I am glad it was there or it may have damaged my muffler. Yes, these will do wheelies!

577jersey

Threads
I have the same problem,
I stopped for a minute or two and now there are brown spots,I called the dealer today and am waiting for service ad to get back to me.
I knew it was the heat cause it gets so hot down there and the flywheel just blows the heat right off the muffler to the ground...the hydros,belts,and PTO are going to last longer now also!!
I was just going to make a shield myself but if they supply it free thats even better!!
Thanks for the info guys!!!

Tom

577jersey

Threads
I just got off the phone with my dealer he said he called the factory and the shield is an option so I have to pay $40 plus shipping for it..thats bull$hit if you ask me!!
When I bought this mower they never said anything about it burning up grass if I let it sit for 30 seconds wide open on the grass.Hustler needs to step up their game or its game over soon..the first mistake was going to BB stores,,then changing too Kohler.
Oh well.

mooch91

Threads
I just got off the phone with my dealer he said he called the factory and the shield is an option so I have to pay $40 plus shipping for it..thats bull$hit if you ask me!!
When I bought this mower they never said anything about it burning up grass if I let it sit for 30 seconds wide open on the grass.Hustler needs to step up their game or its game over soon..the first mistake was going to BB stores,,then changing too Kohler.
Oh well.

Push harder, mine was covered under warranty.

577jersey

Threads
Push harder, mine was covered under warranty.
Well I tried again,I told him about you guys too,he said he has to go by what the factory says,,so by the time I put all the aggravation into getting it for free it may as well be worth $40 just so my hair doesn’t fall out more..lol

mooch91

Threads
Ha! :) Hustler customer service is also very good if you want to give them a shot. Easy to get them on Facebook, their # is harder to find.

577jersey

Threads
Thanks Mooch but I deleted my FB account years ago when my wife was asking too many questions :)

mhavanti

Threads
Decided to give Hustler a shot at providing a heat shield for the RSD60 after burning about 50 spots on the lawn if not more on the last mow.

Contacted on Facebook. Placed a post on their wall. They removed it. Placed another post on their wall, they removed it. I sent them a message, this is their reply:

"Thank you for writing. Yes we do have a muffler shield for your mower that would help but honestly we suggest that anytime you are going to leave your mower that you idle it down and turn it off. The muffler shield will help but if you install it you have to be very diligent on keeping it clean as it is a shelf under the muffler and grass/debris will collect on it and needs to be cleaned off regularly. It is however not an item that is covered under warranty. It is an accessory that we made available for those that feel it is necessary. The part number for the shield is a 120562 and is available through any of our dealers. I am unsure how other owners received it for free. Potentially it was done through the dealer and wasn’t paid by us. Jeff"

577jersey

Threads
My shield was not covered either,,not sure how these other guys got it...the shield stays clean for the most part..i blow it off every time Im done blowing off walk ways and such.
Works good and does not cause any over heating or air restriction issues.

I think the shield is a must as it keeps the hydros,PTO,and belts all isolated from the big hot can back there,,Im sure everything runs alot cooler with it on :)