RSD exhaust burning lawn?

mhavanti

Threads
Concur. Especially since the "other box store" units have shielded exhausts. Since Excel / Hustler chose to sell their units at box stores, theirs are now box store mowers. They should compete and retro those that are needing them.

Kremeneon

Threads
Here is my heat shield with the tow hitch part folded back 90 degrees and secured in the back of the rail with two nuts and bolts I punched through. I also reinforced the hitch area previously by sistering up a sheet of 1/8" steel.

IMG_4359.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

update for better lighting:
IMG_4369.jpg

IMG_4370.jpg

Last edited:

MikeRSD54

Threads
Called Hustler direct today and no luck getting one covered under warranty. They acknowledged the problem but said it was sold as an accessory and not a warranty item. I passed on purchasing one, citing that I believe it should be standard equipment. The tech I spoke with agreed but said his hands were tied.

So for kicks I called my dealer. Spoke to the tech there who said he never heard of one burning grass before. I had to give him the part number to get him to realize there was even one available. He looked it up, and saw the kit but said there was no record of one being sold at that store or the two nearby dealers in neighboring cities. The parts guy is out for the week and he said to call back and talk to him before I paid for one.

It's a minor issue sure, but Hustler should step up here and make it right. One of my burn spots is where I paused to wipe off my sunglasses, maybe 5-10 seconds tops.

I suspect most if not every Raptor owner is experiencing this, but not realizing the true cause of the spotting.

mhavanti

Threads
Kreme,

The shield's break upward and then bolted to the rear of the guard is much cleaner looking and much more practical in my opinion.

Mike,

I suspect your dealer may supply you with a shield if you tell them the importance of him doing so in order to get word of mouth sales from you. My dealer didn't care about service, just sales. He would put me off time and again and each time assure me he'd get to it immediately. Then he would stop answering my calls. If I stopped by the store, his 84 year old mother would say he was out. Of course, his pickup would be sitting right there and she always rode to the store with him. They forgot they told me that part. lol

Datadave

Threads
Kreme,
The shield's break upward and then bolted to the rear of the guard is much cleaner looking and much more practical in my opinion.

I agree
Kremeneon's mod looks much better, and it leaves your hitch available for use.
It seems like the Hustler engineers designed that in a hurry

Lafitte

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I told Shannon, at Ace Equipment , Tyler, Texas of burning mower exhaust spots she then called Hustler about the problem . They shipped an exhaust baffle to her and I installed it. No problem.

mhavanti

Threads
The dealer makes all the difference in customer service and whether your mower is supported. The factory doesn't support us directly and that is because we are only one unit. However, the factory assumes a larger quantity purchaser can't be allowed not to have their support.

I'm telling you all, keep going to the youtube I made on burning grass and linking it to your page in facebook, here, and making comments on the Hustler Review in Facebook, you'll begin seeing much more support as this one today from their dealer.

There have been two mowers replaced thru the Facebook Review page. Several exhaust shields from the youtube video connection. Keep on posting and reviewing.

Links below:

https://www.facebook.com/HustlerZeroTurn/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIfmYV4nvc

Bigmks

Threads
anyone know were can i find one for my raptor sd 36". I seem to have the same problem when the ztr is sitting idle.

Lafitte

Forum Newbie
Threads
anyone know were can i find one for my raptor sd 36". I seem to have the same problem when the ztr is sitting idle.

Check with your dealer, that's where I got mine.

mhavanti

Threads
BigMks,

Snag you a scrap piece of aluminum from some soffit - facia - guttering company and ask them to bend it for you. You can then drill the holes and cut the tabs to fit your unit and probably won't have more than five bucks in it bolts and all.

Max