RPM too high...

kevinfromwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a hrx2175vka mower. I had trouble starting it so I cleaned out the main jet and then it would start for a minute and surge rpm. I cleaned out the idle jet and now it starts but at a very high rpm. Above the screw that covers the idle jet is an adjustment screw with spring around it. I had to remove it to get to the idle jet. Would this be the cause of the high rpm and how should it be adjusted?
Thanks for any help...

kevinfromwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did have the float valve in upside down when it was starting high rpm and now it won't start at all?

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've got a hrx2175vka mower. I had trouble starting it so I cleaned out the main jet and then it would start for a minute and surge rpm. I cleaned out the idle jet and now it starts but at a very high rpm. Above the screw that covers the idle jet is an adjustment screw with spring around it. I had to remove it to get to the idle jet. Would this be the cause of the high rpm and how should it be adjusted?
Thanks for any help...
That is your idle speed adjustment screw. Sets idle speed typically 1750rpm. Turn it CCW to lower rpm. This is the screw with the spring around it.

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did have the float valve in upside down when it was starting high rpm and now it won't start at all?
What the????? Take a picture of this float valve. Yes there is a float inside the carb bowl. Float itself is not a valve. And if this is what I'm thinking, how did you get it inverted?

Picture will solve the mystery. Video even better.

kevinfromwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
What the????? Take a picture of this float valve. Yes there is a float inside the carb bowl. Float itself is not a valve. And if this is what I'm thinking, how did you get it inverted?

Picture will solve the mystery. Video even better.
On the first post 'how to clean a honda carb' it's shown as the float valve. I had the pointed end down instead of up... Does that make sense? And when I was taking out the main jet was when it fell out and I installed it upside down...

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
On the first post 'how to clean a honda carb' it's shown as the float valve. I had the pointed end down instead of up... Does that make sense? And when I was taking out the main jet was when it fell out and I installed it upside down...
What first post? I'm slow so help me help you. Pictures please.

kevinfromwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm fixin to eat dinner, I'll have to go back out later and take the carb back off... The first post refers to the first post in this honda section, it's title is how to clean a honda carb... There is a diagram at the top of that post...

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is the carb needle. Potato po'tat-o??

Now you have fuel dumping into the oil sump. It makes a difference how you put the needle back in. The pointed tip is supposed to seal off the "seat", cutting fuel to the carb. Float rises and falls depending on fuel demand like a toilet.

Never heard of someone putting the needle in upside down. Needles sometimes have a small wire or slot that hangs the needle on the float.

PULL the oil stick and smell for fuel. If you smell gas in the oil, STOP. Fix the carb. Next step is dump the oil and refill with SAE 30w.

kevinfromwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I will check the oil. When I was taking out the main jet, I was tapping on it to get the jet out. The carb needle just fell out... Didn't know which way it went back in... duh for me... Then I saw the diagram in the 'first post' showing the correct direction. It does have like a circlip on the end facing the float, I'll check that also...

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks. I will check the oil. When I was taking out the main jet, I was tapping on it to get the jet out. The carb needle just fell out... Didn't know which way it went back in... duh for me...
You pointed me to a nice picture of it over on that carb cleaning page.