Rough ride

richard46

Forum Newbie
Threads
This post is to members who are also members of consumer reports. Last spring I had the misfortune of buying a riding lawn mower from a company highly recommended by Consumer Reports. I have a large hilly lawn with a lot of maple trees. This new mower had an ‘automatic” transmission. Between the maple trees, the hills and the automatic transmission the ride was EXTREMELY rough. It BROKE MY BACK. I have had two back operations. I contacted consumer reports and asked them to include ride quality in their mower reviews and they said they wouldn’t do it just for me, but they would do it if there were a lot of people contacting them (via chat) and asking that ride quality be included. Sooo, if any of you are subscribers to Consumer Reports and are concerned with the ride quality of your mower and/or would like it to be better, please chat with consumer reports and ask them to review the ride quality. Thank you very much

cruzenmike

Threads
The issue is not that of the ride quality of the mower so much as the ground quality of your property. There are reasons why only a few companies have bothered trying to "improve" the ride quality of their mowers; the cost doesn't justify the potential gains is profits/market share and quite frankly it's a feature that most consumer's don't need. While something like suspension, or a taller sidewall on the tires might have made a significant difference in your own personal experience it is likely that inclusion of "ride quality" on the Consumer's Report might have either made no difference in your mower selection, or possibly made a less desirable piece of equipment (for other reasons) end up in your garage. If you have searched through this site or others like it I am sure you will find many suggestions and recommendations for end users with your type of landscape/property, but I am assuming from your post that I did your research after the fact?

It really is unfortunate because I have also been a victim of a somewhat similar situation. In 2018 I went to purchase a new vehicle. I was extremely concerned with safety ratings and got on the track of a car maker that touted having "state of the art" safety tech in their car. Working in the safety profession I was immediately drawn to this make of vehicle. WORST DECISION I EVER MADE!! The safety tech in that vehicle was so intrusive and in my opinion potentially dangerous for some drivers. My resolution was to sell the car at a significant loss and purchase something else. I did my research on this car and not once did I read a review where someone said that they had the pre-collision brakes activate them unexpectedly but it happened to me TWICE in just one month of ownership. If someone asks me what I think of that car, I will just tell them my thoughts, but I won't go to the extent of asking others to try and change the model of car reviews just for the sake of my personal experience.

With that being said, you have learned your lesson; Do more research and test drive your equipment, on your property. I hope that you can find a different machine to do what you need it to without hurting that back of yours!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why the duplicate thread? No need unless you want members upset with you, which means they will do the opposite of what you would like.
Because some people might not see every post. I do not read every post on here or any other forum. So tired of people whining about capital letters and double posting on internet forums. You guys need a hug.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No need for a hug, just need to educate people. If you understand how the forum works there is no need For second thread. If you want your there to be viewed more just bring it back up with a reinforcement comment.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because some people might not see every post. I do not read every post on here or any other forum. So tired of people whining about capital letters and double posting on internet forums. You guys need a hug.

slomo
Because I answered the first posting then when checking the forum this morning wondered why my reply that was there yesterday is not there today .
Thus I either have to write the reply again or go back through my posts to se if it was a actually posted or check the OP/s threads to see if it is a double post.
In that time I could have read & replied to a dozen others or finished with Lawnworld & gone over to check the Arborist forum , the vintage, chainsaw forum , my tractor forum or any other one of the 30 or so I haunt.

Also when some one does a search looking for answers they end up seeing the same post 2 , 3 or 4 times .
A lot of forums I inhabit would automatically delete double posts from the same person .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Because I answered the first posting then when checking the forum this morning wondered why my reply that was there yesterday is not there today .
Thus I either have to write the reply again or go back through my posts to se if it was a actually posted or check the OP/s threads to see if it is a double post.
In that time I could have read & replied to a dozen others or finished with Lawnworld & gone over to check the Arborist forum , the vintage, chainsaw forum , my tractor forum or any other one of the 30 or so I haunt.

Also when some one does a search looking for answers they end up seeing the same post 2 , 3 or 4 times .
A lot of forums I inhabit would automatically delete double posts from the same person .
Couldn't you remember what you just read? Like I've seen that one already. Simply ignore the second post? Not like they double post in the same section. Just move on to the next post.

Everyone, Bertsmobile1 needs a hug!!! :)

slomo

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have had two back surgeries In the past I doubt your Dr. would be pleased knowing that you're on a riding mower. I've had back problems since my early 20's in the U.S.A.F., 67 now, have been going to same Chiropractor Dr. for over 20 years for slipped disc, buldging disc's 4 at same time. I see him once a month now to keep me lined up. By the way, I have just about given up weedeating, even with a back brace on. By the way, which Brand & model of mower do you have? Consumer Reports is not perfect.

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
It is apparent that they are not intending or wanting "brand bash" so much as let us know his dissatisfaction with the consumer rating system which he feels had let him down with the omission of ride quality in their consideration. If we did know the make and model, it might persuade some, but like stated before, this would be a very subjective experience.

CMB1

Threads
If you have had two back surgeries In the past I doubt your Dr. would be pleased knowing that you're on a riding mower. I've had back problems since my early 20's in the U.S.A.F., 67 now, have been going to same Chiropractor Dr. for over 20 years for slipped disc, buldging disc's 4 at same time. I see him once a month now to keep me lined up. By the way, I have just about given up weedeating, even with a back brace on. By the way, which Brand & model of mower do you have? Consumer Reports is not perfect.
You'd probably feel a lot better if you just Trimmed the weeds,instead of eating them too! Sorry, I couldn't help myself!:censored: