Roll bar safety

fishbone

Threads
The roll bar (ROPS?) on Kubota Kommander looks like it could be a serious hazard. I have many low branches to mow around and under. If a branch were it block the bar, I envision it tipping the machine back on the drive wheels causing a rearward tip-over. My better sense dictates that it should be removed. Any thoughts?

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
ROPS are on there for your safety whether you want/need it or not. There's no law that prevents you from modifying the machine to your needs, but if you have hills or plan to have others use this machine, you might think it through.

With the Kommander ROPS behind the seat and the mower deck forward of the ROPS, you can stab under low hanging branches and then back out. The ROPS on my L3600 is fixed and I just work around the limbs and obstacles.
:thumbsup:

scott47429

Threads
i leave my rops up when cutting and wear the seat belt if you take it off then dont use the seat belt my rops folds down when it needs to but i just keep everything trimmed up so i dont have a problem

lewb

Threads
I would be careful when going under low branches. I just about put a broken limb into the back of my head. Will take some time to figure out what will clear and what will not. Good luck

fishbone

Threads
I just about did the same thing on my first mow, lewb.
I since wielded my chain saw in wide arcs to clear a lot of stuff.
I'm still undecided on the rops removal. Even with things trimmed up well, a hidden branch can snag me, and that's a bigger (or more likely) hazard than the possibility of a roll over.
I wish it were a foldable bar that could be raised when bank mowing, and left down for bush/tree mowing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I owned it the rollover bar would be off. I also don't have a rollover problems seeing I don't have any hills or banks. This has to be whatever you are conformable with. If you want both worlds maybe to could bring it to a weld shop and have it modified so it folds down when you want?