Riding mower won't brake/stop

paulspecht

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got an older craftsman rider, and it won't stop , it keeps on rolling. I've replaced the brake pads and adjusted to not roll when pushed but won't stop when riding.

Cusser

Threads
Need to fix this. Ask me why.
Garage door before.jpg

Richard320

Threads
It sounds like the drive isn't disengaging before the brake engages.

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
There are a few variables that might be in play here. Is this a hydrostatic drive or manual gears?

The front of the transaxle case has a bolt connected to an ear on the cross member of the frame that the keeps the transaxle in position. I've had that bolt break on two of these tractors and that allows the transaxle to rotate under braking which changes the brake and clutch geometry so that you can't stop it. Look for a broken off or missing bolt on the front of the transaxle.

Attachments

• InkedPD_0071_142_794837_LI.jpg
    InkedPD_0071_142_794837_LI.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 7

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The brake is also the clutch so it has to loosen the tension on the drive belt enough for the mower not to drive with the pedal about 3/4 down .
The brake acts on the layshaft which locks the diff so each wheel can only move in opposite directions so the mower comes to an abrupt stop.
You adjust the balance between clutching & braking by adjusting the linkages
You adjust the brake by adjusting the nut in the middle of the brake calliper.

Bellcrank

Threads
How about a example of when this actually happens. Does it happen all the time ? What's you model number.