Buying Advice Riding Mower Recommendation?

frankr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a home with 3.5 acres and want a JD riding mower. Actually, I'd love a JD 1-Series sub-compact tractor, but the wife says "no".
I was looking at the D160. I want something that can do about 2.5 acres. The ground is solid and not sandy. And, I want some versatility like pulling a cart. This weekend I was in a JD store looking at the D160 when the salesman said, "if you're going to spend that much, you should really be looking at the x300." He said that even though the D160 has a larger engine, the x300 will leave it in the dust, and will last a lot longer. Said the is no comparison between the "Series 1" riding mowers and "Select" series even though the x300 has a much smaller engine than the D160.
Is he just trying to get me to spend more money, or is a X300 really that much better than a D160?

- Frank

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
A bigger engine don't make it a better mower.
And why do you want a JD? Have you looked at any thing else?
You can buy some other brand and get much more mower for your $

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

talley2191

Threads
In answer to your question I found that to be true. I'm the owner of an X300 and an LA125 with 21HP Briggs. I can't speak in numbers as many do on here, but I can tell the X300 mows with more power than the "larger" engine on the LA125. I almost wish I would have gone with the 500 series and surely feel you'll want the X300 to do what you want to do.

frankr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the great feedback folks. As for wanting a JD, I recall something that someone told me years ago when I was shopping for golf clubs. I asked, "what were the best clubs on the market?" Someone told me to go to a golf shop, look at the "used" clubs, and buy the brand that no one is trading in. When it comes to riding mowers, at least in south Texas, you rarely see a used JD for sale. And, I have never seen a used "Select Series " for sale. Yet, everywhere I look, where people are mowing large lots, I mainly see them on JD's.
I looked at Consumer Reports and the top three brands as you might expect they are JD, Craftsman, and Husqvarna, with JD edging the other two out in performance and reliability. I know I could get a lot more lawn tractor for a lot less money going with Craftsman or Husqvarna, guess I just want the green-n-yellow!

benski

Threads
By all means, go with what you want, especially if you've looked at the competition. If I was going to get a new Deere, I'd get a 300 series. Nice machines!:cool:

talley2191

Threads
frankr said:
Thanks for the great feedback folks. As for wanting a JD, I recall something that someone told me years ago when I was shopping for golf clubs. I asked, "what were the best clubs on the market?" Someone told me to go to a golf shop, look at the "used" clubs, and buy the brand that no one is trading in. When it comes to riding mowers, at least in south Texas, you rarely see a used JD for sale. And, I have never seen a used "Select Series " for sale. Yet, everywhere I look, where people are mowing large lots, I mainly see them on JD's.
I looked at Consumer Reports and the top three brands as you might expect they are JD, Craftsman, and Husqvarna, with JD edging the other two out in performance and reliability. I know I could get a lot more lawn tractor for a lot less money going with Craftsman or Husqvarna, guess I just want the green-n-yellow!

Then please shop the dealer and think seriously about the select series. Buying the 100 series from the dealer or big box just to get the "green-n-yellow" could leave you with some buyers remorse. The select series is a 20 year mower. Enjoy

Jcg1112

Threads
Have you considered used? It may take a while to find something, but it can be worth the wait. I just bought a really clean '94 320 with a 48" deck this past Sunday at an estate auction. It was garage kept, only 450 hrs, had the owners manual with service history plus the guy even waxed it. :thumbsup: A couple of weeks ago I also bought a '94 (ok everyone close their eyes) Wheelhorse 267H with only 354 hrs on it. One owner and I bought it from the original dealer who had all the service records and I had dealt with him before. They did a full service when they took it as a trade in. For these two Garden Tractors I paid a few hundred more than what a D170 costs at Lowes. Nothing there will touch either tractor, especially the Deere. :biggrin:

frankr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd love to find a used JD Select Series. You just don't find them in our area. I've been looking since April. It's just as rare to see used Series 100 (big box mowers) for sale. There are several JD dealers in the area and they almost never have used riding mowers. Funny though, if I GOOGLE "used John Deere x300", you can find them all over the place; just not too many in Texas. Was looking the other day and closest one I found was in Georgia.
I did manage to pick up a used GX75 for $200 to cut small areas. Looks like it's going to cost me another $200 in repairs. Didn't know what I was doing at the time. Thought it was about 10 or 12 years old. Turns out that it was built in the 80's. But the JD dealer says the little one-stroke 10Hp Kawasaki engine will run forever and the mower was in pretty good shape for its age. Still wish I had done more research. Waiting to get it back from the shop.

Savvy Jack

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased an X320 today. Looks like I did the right thing.