Ridiculous mower regulations

mois25

Threads
I was imagining a situation where a particular country for example has rules regarding how much noise a mower can emit. It would be a real hassle trying to bring in mowers from other countries with different regulations.

I am imagining modification of the machines coming into play, something that would cost both time and money. What are some of the regulations and rules in your country you deem ridiculous?

AndyMan

Threads
Fortunately, we live out where no one can bother us about our mower. When we were house-hunting near Baltimore we looked into a closed community with covenants stating how often you had to mow your lawn (maximum grass height), how many of what type of tree could/had to be planted, where and what type of playground equipment you could set up for your kids. And heaven forbid if a dandelion threw down roots. We RAN in the other direction!

mois25

Threads
Haha, that is an interesting encounter. I am imagining you ran really fast before the reality of the awkward regulations could sink.

I cannot picture staying in a place with so many regulations.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Myself I try not to offend my neighbors (too much) ... I don't think I would care too much for home owner restrictions...

However I do understand the reason that people flock to the neighborhoods that have them...

My brother recently built his house on a golf course, he is very involved in the home owners association and they all love the restrictive covenants, it prevents anyone in the group from deliberately or inadvertently 'offending' their neighbors...
:smile:KennyV

macky

Threads
I would imagine that home owners associations, especially in exclusive subdivisions, have rigorous covenants. This is to preserve the ambiance of the community, preserve the market value (which benefits everybody), and simply maintain peace and harmony among neighbors. For instance, I would imagine hating to be the next door neighbor of someone who does not mow his lawn. It's hard to explain why, but the feeling isn't pleasant.

This is why living in a land of your own in the mountains is great.

Speaking of ridiculous mower regulations, I couldn't think of any at this point. But God forbid they start imposing traffic signs for lawn mowers. That would be the time I'd laugh my heart out.

pchili4

Forum Newbie
Threads
In Ontario Canada we have pollution laws and noise pollution laws, but i really dont care i still love the sound and the smell of small engines:licking:

hornet

Threads
I suggest the neighbours wear ear plugs, if you want a lawn then the noise is a price you have to pay, maybe the neighbours should co-ordinate the mowing times so you are all mowing at the same time :)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suggest ...., maybe the neighbours should co-ordinate the mowing times so you are all mowing at the same time :)

AND this is how a Home Owners Association is started..... :smile:KennyV

Manny

Threads
I don't know about any regulations, there may be some, but I am just not sure. I just try to be courteous of my neighbors. I know I want to mow early enough so that it is cooler outside, but I try to make sure that it is after 9 am.....

mois25

Threads
I agree that there is a price the neighbors have to pay and in any case the need to be mindful to others often comes naturally.

I kinda love the smell from the small engines too, lol!!