Rider starting issues

tinjet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I am new to this forum and hoping someone has some ideas. I have a Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs 15.5hp OHV engine. When I turn the key it turns over slowly and acts as though the battery is dead. I took the battery to a shop and had it tested and they said it was fine. Today I checked my ground cable and positive cable for corrosion and connection. All appear fine. So here is the question...what am I missing, is there a voltage regulator on these that could be bad? Is there a solenoid on these that could be bad? Could the starter be the problem? Is there a way to check these items out?

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a solenoid you can jump across that using a heavy cable, like jumper cables, battery positive post directly to the starter terminal...
You can also check the starter current with an amp gage that you lay on the starter cable...
If either of the magnets inside the starter are loose OR cracked it will give you these same indications...
:smile:KennyV
BTW... WELCOME to this great FORUM!!!!

jd335

Threads
i had the same problem with the same engine the starter bendix was bad the spring had broke and the shaft was rusty very easy to replace bendix if the shaft is rusty take some emory cloth sand paper shine it up before you install the bendix mine would go aganist the flywheel but would not turn hope this helps.

tinjet

Forum Newbie
Threads
All right, I got the chance to check the voltage at the starter. With the key in the start position I have 12.5v at the starter. Does this sound right?

Thanks

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
After trying to start the engine, is the cable going to the starter itself hot?

If it is, I'd say the starter is messed up and drawing too many amps. Perhaps the bearings or brushes. Will also make the starter housing hot. Bad brushes and bearings are most common. Don't get sticker shock if you look at the $ for a new one! Look for a local rebuilder if you can, and you don't think you can undertake it yourself.

As I've posted elsewhere, I have a 11 hp tecumseh that has had starter issues over and over. I've had this exact issue, and my problem was what I above mentioned. 12.5v sounds a tad low, but okay.

Welcome!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are getting over 12 volts at the starter WHILE it is turning the engine over... the battery is good, the solenoid is good and the wiring is good... the problem is in the starter...
If you feel competent about taking it apart, check it out... there is not a lot to a permanent magnet starter... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had good starts with even 12.5 BEFORE. Many times.

If you do take it apart, work on the bearings first. They are made with a metal called 'bearing bronze', and you can usually get at the lower one without removing the brushes. Brushes can be tricky to remove and reinstall without chipping them. If you do take out the armature, take a look at it, and check for burned/melted areas.

Don't over-lube the bearings. Bearing bronze has a lubricant in the metal. I know....I've worked with it :wink: Just a touch of tranny fluid. Why tranny fluid? There are more detergents in tranny fluid than any other lubricant out there,. and it works great under high-heat situations. Just use a good 3m-style blue sink scrubby (a new one) to clean the bearings and the shaft before lubricating it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've had good starts with even 12.5 BEFORE. Many times.

metal called 'bearing bronze',
Bearing bronze has a lubricant in the metal.

While cranking the engine, the voltage can drop below 12 volts, especially if the starter is dragging for some reason...

Bronze bushings are a pure joy to turn on a lathe... they machine so nice... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
While cranking the engine, the voltage can drop below 12 volts, especially if the starter is dragging for some reason...

Bronze bushings are a pure joy to turn on a lathe... they machine so nice... :smile:KennyV

Especially bearing bronze....is's almost soapy.

Regular bronze machines like butter, too. Hate aluminum. Rather turn A2 tool steel on an engine lathe than screw around with aluminum. However, aluminum mills better than anything......

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,
I am new to this forum and hoping someone has some ideas. I have a Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs 15.5hp OHV engine. When I turn the key it turns over slowly and acts as though the battery is dead. I took the battery to a shop and had it tested and they said it was fine. Today I checked my ground cable and positive cable for corrosion and connection. All appear fine. So here is the question...what am I missing, is there a voltage regulator on these that could be bad? Is there a solenoid on these that could be bad? Could the starter be the problem? Is there a way to check these items out?

Thank you in advance for any ideas.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adjust the valves, the compression relief will work as designed again and you'll be good to go.