Rider mower blade damage

microsvc

Threads
Any idea what's causing this on my Troy-bilt 42" rider? These blades were only installed 2 years ago.
There is no gravel on my 1-acre.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 63

Mower King

Threads
Leaves, sticks, even just grass will wear out blades like that in time......2 years is quite a long time for one set of blades! Those Mulch type blades don't have as much material / steel on the "lift" part of the blade to start with so...they will wear out even quicker!

microsvc

Threads
Leaves, sticks, even just grass will wear out blades like that in time......2 years is quite a long time for one set of blades! Those Mulch type blades don't have as much material / steel on the "lift" part of the blade to start with so...they will wear out even quicker!
It's not a wear down, that piece looks like it broke off, it's not a smooth wear surface.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The grass , dust , sticks twigs whatever erode the blade right where the bend is
Eventually the erosion grove becomes so deep that the tip breaks right off.
All blades wear like this
If you look at the next section you will see a channel worn there as well.
It is exactly the same as those wind eroded caves you see in deserts .

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also the grass buildup around the edge of the deck will rub that area of the blade and erode it from the top down.

microsvc

Threads
Thank you everyone who responded. Your answers have been very helpful.. :D

Papa Gill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you loaned the mower to anyone? Bingo... You may not want to do so again.
Has anyone other than you used the mower, even on your property? Bingo...They may need some training or take the keys away from them...

CDE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any idea what's causing this on my Troy-bilt 42" rider? These blades were only installed 2 years ago.
There is no gravel on my 1-acre.
Is it like that on both ends of the blade or just one end of the blade? Both blades? Where I live, the soil is very sandy. It does not take long for the sand to sandblast the tips of the blades and erode the metal away. I use Gator blades (96-319 G3) on my 42 inch Hustler Raptor. The tips move the fastest, so that is where the wear is highest. I can go through several sets of blades in a season. Good luck.

microsvc

Threads
Have you loaned the mower to anyone? Bingo... You may not want to do so again.
Has anyone other than you used the mower, even on your property? Bingo...They may need some training or take the keys away from them...
I dont loan anything because it always comes back broken. Good tip though.

microsvc

Threads
Is it like that on both ends of the blade or just one end of the blade? Both blades? Where I live, the soil is very sandy. It does not take long for the sand to sandblast the tips of the blades and erode the metal away. I use Gator blades (96-319 G3) on my 42 inch Hustler Raptor. The tips move the fastest, so that is where the wear is highest. I can go through several sets of blades in a season. Good luck.
Both ends of both blades. No sand in my soil.