Ride on seat backs

Twinkle

Threads
Looking at the variety of ride on mower styles available I noticed that only a few have a higher backed seat. I would think that more would go this route as the benefits for posture and back support would be a good selling point. Or am I missing something?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Price...
a high back is almost twice the cost of the short... The really nice high back with retractable arm rests can be almost quadruple and the good ones with a nice suspension system under them are really out of sight... BUT a pleasure to set in... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
the seat on my Grasshopper has arm rests,very nice and confey. russ

Ifixdit

Threads
I wish they'd come up with a seat that has a built in air-ride suspension for the cup holder. I'm tired of spilling my beer.

AndyMan

Threads
You can buy replacement seats, right? Why not replace a backless seat with one with a nice tall back? I agree they are so much more comfortable, especially when you have several acres to mow.

Manny

Threads
Maybe you just shouldn't get too comfortable - you'll never want to get off! It is true, though - the seats could be a little more cushy....

173abn

Threads
I read on tractorbynet that Harbor Freight sells a seat,haven't checked it out but might be worth looking at. russ

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I too have wondered this and it hasn't made much sense to me. But, I guess price does play a huge role. I don't personally understand how it costs so much more. Thanks for bringing this up, because I keep forgetting to look into new seating ideas. My back is always hurting.

Jess

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep, those prices sure are tricky. It's really sad that you have to pay more to be comfortable. You would think that would be a companies main priority, other than the cut of course.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you can cut the price below the competition chances are you will sell more... If you sell more you will be in a much better position to negotiate a better price on your next shipping container of seats... if that allows you to cut the price MORE this process continues... on & on... it is all about margin in manufacturing and retail...

The manufacturer would like to only turn out the most well built best equipped and most comfortable piece all the time...
But the retailer says he needs a rider that he can sell for less than $1200 ... somewhere there has to be a LOT of compromises to achieve that ... the seat is just one of the places ...

Then enters the after market vendor... you can find all sorts of seats , some well built, some VERY well built, and then there are those that are worse than the factory... you will have to know what to look for when your shopping seats... there are some that 'look' like they are better but look close..
:smile:KennyV