Rich Running Kohler Command

BrewMeister

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a GT2100 with a Kohler V-Twin CH680-30 engine that runs rich. Cleaned the Keihin single barrel carb. Installed new air and fuel filters, new plugs, and new gasoline. Starts up with a little black smoke from the exhaust and idles rough. If i don't increase the throttle it will die. Increase the throttle and it seems to smooth out some. No hesitation or lugging when the PTO is engaged. Any suggestions?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Needle valve staying open. Time to adjust float.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also remove carb inlet valve and look for crud that can cause the needle to stick open. Use finger nail test on groove , if any, on inlet valve point. Catching of finger nail = excess wear, replace. Float leaking, filling with gas, and not floating high enough to shut valve soon enough?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
From what im seeing it does not have float at all.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Earlier post caused me to look at Kheinin as installed on mowers . Jack's has a drawing, but fuzzy to me. Today I looked at the various carbs which looked like they all were "two-lung" items and had inlet valves. Very little support for the mower carbs.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
From what im seeing it does not have float at all.

The ones I have had in my shop were nonadjustable plastic floats. I have also found very little information or parts for them also. Some time back I had one I just couldn't get to run right after I had it apart a number of times so I had to replace the complete carburetor. I hope the OP has better luck with his.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like $300 for replacement.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like $300 for replacement.

Yes not cheap. Just how far do you go when something isn't repairable and its costing you money trying to repair it. Its all part of the repair business knowing when to stop. This is the reason I hope the OP has good luck with his.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wish that company paid half as much attention to the lawnmower applications as they do to aftermarket Harleys. But they really are pretty on the Harleys. If I remember the motorcycle press went ape praising the carburettor as a precision piece to replace the drippy British Amals.