Reverse Problem with my new Gravely

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So send the dealer an email stating that this is not acceptable for a brand new mower and would constitute either a design fault or a componant fault .
As such the mower is nether fit for purpose nor is as advertised and both of these are grounds for the mower to be replaced, exchanged or your money to be refunded.
Make sure it is an email and let us know what the response is.

tbzep

Threads
I have a friend who's son has a small lawn care business in Toronto. Yards are small in his neighborhood so they got a 2018 or 2019 model Compact Pro 34 after me telling them how much I liked my HD 52. They have nothing but praise for their machine. It makes me wonder if the design was changed for 2020, or if something happened to an assembly jig for it to be off square. BTW, did you not give it a quick test drive before purchase, or before accepting it if they delivered to you?

tbzep

Threads
The manual says you have adjustments. The dealer should be able to get you a little more action on that right side pump. Even if if it's a frame issue, him telling you there is no adjustment is incorrect.

There are jam bolts on the front and back of the lever that allow you to change the lever's location and possibly give you more throw before before it hits the limit. The lever attaches to the hydro via a tie-rod. Like a car's tie rod, it's length is adjustable, which will change how much throw you get at the pump. I'm starting to think it's a poor steering adjustment during assembly instead of a misaligned frame or sub assembly. Show the dealer your manual where the thing can be adjusted. He just doesn't want to fool with it. On the online manual, it's pages 21-23.

Last edited:

gainestruk

Threads
Be respectful don't go in charging and demanding, tell them how would they feel if it were them.
If they refuse if you paid part with credit card you can call them and complain, tell them they sold you a defective machine and won't fix it, they will claw back the part you paid, that should get dealer in high gear.
Just remember don't go in with a chip on your shoulder.
please let us know the outcome of this, I know I'm very interested and I'm sure others are also.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am sure the problem can be remedied with judicious application of the proper sized hammer.
Trust me. I know these things.

Redtro

Threads
The manual says you have adjustments. The dealer should be able to get you a little more action on that right side pump. Even if if it's a frame issue, him telling you there is no adjustment is incorrect.

There are jam bolts on the front and back of the lever that allow you to change the lever's location and possibly give you more throw before before it hits the limit. The lever attaches to the hydro via a tie-rod. Like a car's tie rod, it's length is adjustable, which will change how much throw you get at the pump. I'm starting to think it's a poor steering adjustment during assembly instead of a misaligned frame or sub assembly. Show the dealer your manual where the thing can be adjusted. He just doesn't want to fool with it. On the online manual, it's pages 21-23.
I've looked from the top side and the schematic doesn't look like mine, but I haven't looked under the machine to see where the linkage connects to the transmission. If there is a tie-rod adjustment, that would be an easy fix. If I have to fix this an I'm able to do so, I'll be contacting my salesman and owner to let them know that their shop guys dont know their hat from a hole in the ground. I'm out of town for the week but I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the help.

Redtro

Threads
I have a friend who's son has a small lawn care business in Toronto. Yards are small in his neighborhood so they got a 2018 or 2019 model Compact Pro 34 after me telling them how much I liked my HD 52. They have nothing but praise for their machine. It makes me wonder if the design was changed for 2020, or if something happened to an assembly jig for it to be off square. BTW, did you not give it a quick test drive before purchase, or before accepting it if they delivered to you?
I've never operated a Z-turn mower before this one. Test driving it would not have told me much. The salesman drove it up on my trailer the day I purchased it and it took a little time for me to get use to it enough to know there was a problem. The first time I realized this problem, I mowed down to a curb (very slight incline and not steep at all) and needed to use the right reverse to get the front wheels off the curb and couldn't. The wheels were not spinning and it wouldn't back up. I had to cut off the blades, raise the deck and drive off the curb. This was the only way to recover.

tbzep

Threads
I've looked from the top side and the schematic doesn't look like mine, but I haven't looked under the machine to see where the linkage connects to the transmission. If there is a tie-rod adjustment, that would be an easy fix. If I have to fix this an I'm able to do so, I'll be contacting my salesman and owner to let them know that their shop guys dont know their hat from a hole in the ground. I'm out of town for the week but I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the help.
I looked at this manual. https://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04276200A_ENG.pdf
Since I didn't have your serial number and Gravely model numbers vary with engine choice, I can't be sure this is the correct manual. This one may be for a different year model and they could have changed some things. However, I can't believe there are no adjustments on a Pro model that they could have at least tinkered with to try and help you. My lower tier HD model has adjustments.

Good luck with them. If all else fails, a call to Ariens/Gravely will most likely put some pressure on the dealer to help, or they may direct you to a more competent dealer.

Redtro

Threads
I looked at this manual. https://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04276200A_ENG.pdf
Since I didn't have your serial number and Gravely model numbers vary with engine choice, I can't be sure this is the correct manual. This one may be for a different year model and they could have changed some things. However, I can't believe there are no adjustments on a Pro model that they could have at least tinkered with to try and help you. My lower tier HD model has adjustments.

Good luck with them. If all else fails, a call to Ariens/Gravely will most likely put some pressure on the dealer to help, or they may direct you to a more competent dealer.
I was contacted by Gravely and they suggested that I bend the bracket the steering arm was being limited by. I did this and it did make the performance better but still substandard for the cost of the mower. It is functional but still a very large difference between the left and right reverse control.

Redtro

Threads
This was what they suggested. I really don't think I should have had to fix their design/build problem, especially after paying a premium dollar for this mower....and it's still not perfect. There is still at least 1" difference between the reverse travel between the left and right steering arms.