Engine Restored engine protection

Cory.cleavenger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone I'm a 16 year old and I mow quite a few lawns for money. I am also very interested in working on just about any kind of engines and what not. This past month I got a free 1989 mtd edger/trimmer with a 3 horsepower briggs and Stratton 4 stroke engine. After replacing all the gaskets, carbureator parts, seals, oil, flywheel magneto, spark plug, air filter, lubricating everything, and thoroughly cleaning all the valves and other parts in the engine. I finally got the engine started today and it runs really well, practically like new! I'm just wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about after restoring an engine like this. Also I'd appreciate any advice on how to keep an older engine like this working the best. Other than me sucking at using the edger it hasn't given me any problems yet in the five minutes I used it. Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Cory & WELCOME to these Forums...
Keep things running is the Best approach. Most older equipment has minor problems when others give up on them and buy new.
You obviously have a very good idea as to what mechanically will keep engines running, so you shouldn't have many problems... Look into Oils... get past what some will say they 'think' will be okay oil. Go with the Best, it is the Main thing you can do to lubricate and help cool any internal combustion engine.
Run a Good Synthetic oil. Something with the Best additive package available. I use Rotella T6, it has an additive group suitable for Diesel engines, I run it in Every 4 stroke engine I have, diesel gasoline and propane, water cooled and especially every air cooled.
There are a few, ill-informed folks that 'think' the Only reason to use synthetic oil is to extend the change interval. There are also some that 'think' synthetic oil should not be used on older engines... Best bet for them is to keep using what they want, information about synthetic oil is easily available, but some will Never bother to look.
Run a good or Great Synthetic oil and your engine parts will stay cooler and cleaner along with being Better lubed... :smile:KennyV