Export thread

Restaurant..

wjjones

wjjones

Any other place than home you like to eat at?.. Whats your favorite type of food, and why?

JDgreen

JDgreen

Any other place than home you like to eat at?.. Whats your favorite type of food, and why?

Only time we dine out is when the local family steak house offers one of us a free birthday steak dinner, a $10.99 value. Problem is, it costs about $6 for gas to get there and back....:thumbdown: I HATE WAITING FOR MY FOOD, period.

As for me, I love both Mexican and Italian food...but not places like Taco Bell. Problem is, restaurant food is way, way, overpriced, IMO. The only real deal locally is a Chinese restaurant that serves a lunch buffet, all you can eat for $7.99, beverage included. Five days a week, 11 am to 1 pm, and the stuff is GOOD. One time I craved egg rolls, managed to scarf down 10 of them in one hour. Problem is, the trip there and back...$6 for gas.

To those who live in the Midwest, and are old like me...recall Bill Knapps? Used to go there EVERY SATURDAY FOR DINNER. Best meal deals for $6-7 there ever was. Sorry they had to close.

L

LandN

we go quite a bit to eat out ,i try to not let the wife cook for just us two.i am currently changing to more turkey,fish,chicken rather than the other other meats plus more veggies.we get a lot of senior specials at local restaurants....we don't do the fast food joints much anymore except for culvers.

JDgreen

JDgreen

we go quite a bit to eat out ,i try to not let the wife cook for just us two.i am currently changing to more turkey,fish,chicken rather than the other other meats plus more veggies.we get a lot of senior specials at local restaurants....we don't do the fast food joints much anymore except for culvers.

You must be an exception, "senior specials" at local restaurants....? Around here there is NOTHING for us old farts. I do 95% of the meal preparation here at home. Know what we had tonite? Medium well grilled ground round cooked on my deck, home grown butternut squash, and fresh tomatoes, washed down with a good zinfandel. Better and cheaper than anyplace else we could have dined at. Oh, yes..chocolate chip brickle ice cream for dessert...gotta splurge somehow.

L

LandN

You must be an exception, "senior specials" at local restaurants....? Around here there is NOTHING for us old farts. I do 95% of the meal preparation here at home. Know what we had tonite? Medium well grilled ground round cooked on my deck, home grown butternut squash, and fresh tomatoes, washed down with a good zinfandel. Better and cheaper than anyplace else we could have dined at. Oh, yes..chocolate chip brickle ice cream for dessert...gotta splurge somehow.

You're lucky jd to have the time to enjoy the backyard grill . lots of time the wife and i get pretty busy running around so then to spend some more time in the kitchen seems like.......well lets just relax and go out. i got a nice pot roast dinner for $6.00 last week, smaller portions but thats good cause my stomach dont hold much anymore like it once did:laughing:senior coffee at micky d is .50:laughing:

wjjones

wjjones

I keep seeing those Red Robin commercials on tv, and wondered if they suck, or what? I just cant see paying $8 for a hamburger...

bakerg

bakerg

I keep seeing those Red Robin commercials on tv, and wondered if they suck, or what? I just cant see paying $8 for a hamburger...

Been there for lunch in Taylor, Michigan. They do have great burgers.:thumbsup: No Red Robin in my area.:frown:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Sounds good! I'll pass on the ice cream, oh and make mine a top sirloin, or venison tenderloin.
Have you ever grilled butternut squash? Do it right and you'll grill it every chance you get.:drink:

Bison

Bison

If it was just me i would never eat in a restaurant ever again cause its all junk food in my eyes,veggies are all the same where ever one goes and it tastes like **** and the meat looks and taste like overcooked month old road kill and hamburger looks and smells like rotten brain matter scraped of a wall some where(the stuf makes me puke on sight):thumbdown::mad:
Besides i think its all overpriced and i hate paying tip on top to boot.(I tell the owner/manager to be not so greedy and pay them waitresses a ******* decent wages so these girls don't have to pimp the customers).
But the wife likes to eat out once in a while so i endure.
Only Chinese food is still somewhat palatable.

If we go on a trip we pack sandwiches and coffee along.

wjjones

wjjones

If it was just me i would never eat in a restaurant ever again cause its all junk food in my eyes,veggies are all the same where ever one goes and it tastes like **** and the meat looks and taste like overcooked month old road kill and hamburger looks and smells like rotten brain matter scraped of a wall some where(the stuf makes me puke on sight):thumbdown::mad:
Besides i think its all overpriced and i hate paying tip on top to boot.(I tell the owner/manager to be not so greedy and pay them waitresses a ******* decent wages so these girls don't have to pimp the customers).
But the wife likes to eat out once in a while so i endure.
Only Chinese food is still somewhat palatable.

If we go on a trip we pack sandwiches and coffee along.

What about Subway?

Bison

Bison

What about Subway?
Subway is not really a restaurant,it is OK for food on the go,its not something one wants to do for a night out... is it?:wink:

Hamburger joints are the worst:thumbdown:
I can't believe people actualy eat that carbage they sell there..yuk!..:frown:

wjjones

wjjones

Subway is not really a restaurant,it is OK for food on the go,its not something one wants to do for a night out... is it?:wink:

Hamburger joints are the worst:thumbdown:
I can't believe people actualy eat that carbage they sell there..yuk!..:frown:

I just want to find somewhere i can get a big slab of brisket...

Bison

Bison

Butcher should have it

I feed that crap to the dog :tongue:

L

LandN

wife and i hit our favorite small town diner this morning(25miles away)for breakfast,i always get their country skillet and it is smokin hot till the last fork/spoon full. it goes like this, a mound of hash browns and generous amounts of onion and green pepper covered with sausage gravy over that is 2 slices of cheese over that is 2 over medium eggs with diced up sausage all over and on a separate dish with pancakes. pippin hot coffee for 7.99 :licking::licking::licking::licking:and i usually don't eat no more till way late in the day

Bison

Bison

wife and i hit our favorite small town diner this morning(25miles away)for breakfast,i always get their country skillet and it is smokin hot till the last fork/spoon full. it goes like this, a mound of hash browns and generous amounts of onion and green pepper covered with sausage gravy over that is 2 slices of cheese over that is 2 over medium eggs with diced up sausage all over and on a separate dish with pancakes. pippin hot coffee for 7.99 :licking::licking::licking::licking:and i usually don't eat no more till way late in the day
Neither would i,i would prob fall sick from the gross sausage and that gravy:wink:

wjjones

wjjones

Butcher should have it

I feed that crap to the dog :tongue:

Your a cattle man.. What is your favorite cut of beef?

Bison

Bison

Your a cattle man.. What is your favorite cut of beef?
I used to be a cattleman but switched to bison 16 yrs ago.
The cuts in cattle and bison are the same, but the buffalo tastes way better:licking:
i like the tenderloin,rib eye and strip loin the best for steak.I don't like T-bone steak cause of the bone in and the piece of tenderloin in it which is usually fried to h3ll before the rest of the meat is done .
Next the eye of round(Salted and peppered and fried in a dutch oven in butter till crusty on the outside and rare in the center, then sliced really thin across the grain,use the original gravy brazed with a bit of water(nothing further added)with it Yummi:wink:

When i butcher a beef or bison,the whole front half goes into ground beef/bison

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I used to be a cattleman but switched to bison 16 yrs ago.
The cuts in cattle and bison are the same, but the buffalo tastes way better:licking:
i like the tenderloin,rib eye and strip loin the best for steak.I don't like T-bone steak cause of the bone in and the piece of tenderloin in it which is usually fried to h3ll before the rest of the meat is done .
Next the eye of round(Salted and peppered and fried in a dutch oven in butter till crusty on the outside and rare in the center, then sliced really thin across the grain,use the original gravy brazed with a bit of water(nothing further added)with it Yummi:wink:

When i butcher a beef or bison,the whole front half goes into ground beef/bison

I've never tried buffalo but I've been meaning to. There's a restaurant called "Ted's Montana Grill" ("Ted" as in Ted Turner :wink: ) here in Atlanta. Buffalo is leaner than beef and therefore healthier -- correct?

Bison

Bison

I've never tried buffalo but I've been meaning to. There 's a restaurant called "Ted's Montana Grill" ("Ted" as in Ted Turner :wink: ) here in Atlanta. Buffalo is leaner than beef and therefore healthier -- correct?
Correct in every way my friend:thumbsup:

wjjones

wjjones

Correct in every way my friend:thumbsup:

Where does that put beefalo as far as the quality of meat?

M

Mower manic

And what about the wings? Where does that put the wings?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

And what about the wings? Where does that put the wings?

:laughing: Wrong "Buffalo". :laughing:

M

Mower manic

:laughing: Wrong "Buffalo". :laughing:
They have bills don't they? Why not wings?

Bison

Bison

I haven't a clue?, i never ate it or plan to.
Crossing a beef with a bison produces a unmanagable ugly critter.
I imagine a critter that is butt ugly can't taste good either:laughing:

Dangeroustoys56

Dangeroustoys56

My wife and i go to this lil resturaunt in town often( local owned)- its really good and really cheep- ive never left there hungry( well that and my wife has a lap band- i eat half her meal anyway).

Sometimes we go to Village inn, applebees, ruby tuesdays- they arent as cheep as the one resturaunt- heck wife and i went for breakfast this morning there, had 2 breaky specials- cost like $8 .

Other places we go to are Quaker Steak n lube ( AWSOME wings), Buffalo wild wings, Sonnys BBQ - Cold stone creamery, 5 guys burgers, long john silvers, ABC pizza, denny's even lil ceasar's.

Quaker Steak n lube is cool in the fact that they have REAL cars, even race cars hanging from the ceiling - i have pics from 2 of em.

Walleteater1

Walleteater1

It's hard to find a good restaurant that I like where I live. Plenty of fast food places. Most of the Restaurants that are around with tend to serve too much old fart food that's not in style these days.

JDgreen

JDgreen

It's hard to find a good restaurant that I like where I live. Plenty of fast food places. Most of the Restaurants that are around with tend to serve too much old fart food that's not in style these days.

Define "old fart food" for us if you will....

Wife and I are going out tonite to Carrabbas, an italian chain restaurant, got a coupon for TWO FREE DINNERS there....us old farts love to save money that way. SO THERE.

Walleteater1

Walleteater1

Define "old fart food" for us if you will....

Wife and I are going out tonite to Carrabbas, an italian chain restaurant, got a coupon for TWO FREE DINNERS there....us old farts love to save money that way. SO THERE.
Vegtebles boiled to death,mushy food, bland food with no seasoning. It's more how it's prepared than what it is. And I like to use coupons too. Sighn up on Uno's insider club if you got one of those chains near you and they give you a free entree'. I ordered the steak dinner that was the most expensive on the menu. The wife and I went ordered waters and a meal for her with the tip it came to about 11 bucks.:laughing:

JDgreen

JDgreen

Vegtebles boiled to death,mushy food, bland food with no seasoning. It's more how it's prepared than what it is. And I like to use coupons too. Sighn up on Uno's insider club if you got one of those chains near you and they give you a free entree'. I ordered the steak dinner that was the most expensive on the menu. The wife and I went ordered waters and a meal for her with the tip it came to about 11 bucks.:laughing:

Oh yes. I simply hate those VEGTEBLES myself....:laughing::laughing:

jmurray01

jmurray01

Oh yes. I simply hate those VEGTEBLES myself....:laughing::laughing:
:laughing: That isn't the worst spelling I've seen though, I think it was back in '09 when a leaflet came through the letterbox advertising for a local shop, and they spelt vegetables "vegitibles".

I'm not joking.

Strangely, the shop went under about 3 months after that.

Bison

Bison

Oldest Sister on vacation this side of the pond "treated " us to a restaurant dinner couple weeks ago(i tried to talk her out of it to no avail and was acused of being a "party pooper":eek:)
I ordered a ribeye (medium rare)and got a rib steak instead, i pointed that out but they told me there is only rib steak on the menu even though the menu lists a ribeye and a ribsteak.
Anyway, the steak was a full 3/8 of an inch thick and "well done", the vegies turned out to be corn(i hate that chicken food) i had ordered Asparages.The baby potatos had turned mysteriously into "home fries" potatos cut in wedges with the skin still on( they're nowadays even to friggin lazy to peel the potatos:rolleyes:)

Anyway,after the ordeal was over ,Sister asked me to pay for her(language barrier)
Bill came to close to $350 for party of 6 ,I did not leave tip which caused a huge argument at the checkout desk.
I told them you're lucky my sister is footing the bill so be glad you got something,i would've given you the finger and walked out leaving you sit with the junkfood on the table.:tongue:
This is supposedly the Best restaurant in town:eek:
Ahh,the joy of eating out !:rolleyes::mad:

JDgreen

JDgreen

Oldest Sister on vacation this side of the pond "treated " us to a restaurant dinner couple weeks ago(i tried to talk her out of it to no avail and was acused of being a "party pooper":eek:)
I ordered a ribeye (medium rare)and got a rib steak instead, i pointed that out but they told me there is only rib steak on the menu even though the menu lists a ribeye and a ribsteak.
Anyway, the steak was a full 3/8 of an inch thick and "well done", the vegies turned out to be corn(i hate that chicken food) i had ordered Asparages.The baby potatos had turned mysteriously into "home fries" potatos cut in wedges with the skin still on( they're nowadays even to friggin lazy to peel the potatos:rolleyes:)

Anyway,after the ordeal was over ,Sister asked me to pay for her(language barrier)
Bill came to close to $350 for party of 6 ,I did not leave tip which caused a huge argument at the checkout desk.
I told them you're lucky my sister is footing the bill so be glad you got something,i would've given you the finger and walked out leaving you sit with the junkfood on the table.:tongue:

3/8 inch thick steak and the bill was $55 per person :eek::eek:....I would have been upset too!! Local steakhouse chain here will serve you a half inch thick, 7 ounce sirloin, baked spud and caesar salad for $10.99 everyday. And the meal is worth it. Don't blame you one bit for being upset.

BKBrown

BKBrown

We did have a local Bison farm that sold the meat in their own outlet. Most of it was GREAT, but some of the cuts were a little too lean for my taste. I would like to be able to get it again locally.They went out of business with a mystery fire and big insurance payoff. :rolleyes:
There is also a BIG difference between Grazed (grass fed) without hormones, steriods, and antibiotics :thumbsup: and feedlot beef (pumped full of all kinds of nasty chemicals :eek: :thumbdown:) that is raised and fattened with mostly corn and some grain. The two kinds (grazed and feedlot) are vastly different in taste and nutritional value.
Buffalo is leaner than beef and therefore healthier -- correct?

JDgreen

JDgreen

We did have a local Bison farm that sold the meat in their own outlet. Most of it was GREAT, but some of the cuts were a little too lean for my taste. I would like to be able to get it again locally.They went out of business with a mystery fire and big insurance payoff. :rolleyes:
There is also a BIG difference between Grazed (grass fed) without hormones, steriods, and antibiotics :thumbsup: and feedlot beef (pumped full of all kinds of nasty chemicals :eek: :thumbdown:) that is raised and fattened with mostly corn and some grain. The two kinds (grazed and feedlot) are vastly different in taste and nutritional value.

I would take whatever has more preservatives at my age I need all those I can get.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

That's really bad. I can't imagine that they will stay in business. There got to be competition in that price range -- that place wouldn't survive here in Atlanta.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

There seems to be plenty of interest in grass-fed beef, at least in the Georgia/Alabama border area where I do a lot of cycling. I see a lot of cows eating grass, so it must be profitable.

I understand that they're grass-fed until a short time before they're slaughtered -- then they get switched to something else to improve the taste. I'll bet Bison knows what that would be.

Bison

Bison

That's really bad. I can't imagine that they will stay in business. There got to be competition in that price range -- that place wouldn't survive here in Atlanta.
The competition is worse.
Frankly in the last 25 yrs i have had only a couple meals worth the money and eating in a Canadian restaurant.:thumbdown:

The restaurants here either suck big time,...or i'm a fussy eater.:licking:

Truck stops used to have good food,today all they serve is junk.:thumbdown:

Exclusive restaurants serve half of the same crap on a bigger plate but charge triple for it and expect a huge tip(fat change).:thumbdown:

JDgreen

JDgreen

The competition is worse.
Frankly in the last 25 yrs i have had only a couple meals worth the money and eating in a Canadian restaurant.:thumbdown:

The restaurants here either suck big time,...or i'm a fussy eater.:licking:

Truck stops used to have good food,today all they serve is junk.:thumbdown:

Exclusive restaurants serve half of the same crap on a bigger plate but charge triple for it and expect a huge tip(fat change).:thumbdown:

I read someplace one time that diners are tipping the wrong person, they should tip the cook because that person does the meal preparation and all the server does is carry it to the table.

BKBrown

BKBrown

We have a local Restaurant (Pizza & Sub, but they do much more) - We clear our own table and I tip the cook (most of the time she brings out our meal). They know us by name and we were invited to the wedding of one of the owners. They believe in sreving the BEST they can provide and doing it the way the customer wants it. :thumbsup:
I read someplace one time that diners are tipping the wrong person, they should tip the cook because that person does the meal preparation and all the server does is carry it to the table.

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

:laughing: That isn't the worst spelling I've seen though, I think it was back in '09 when a leaflet came through the letterbox advertising for a local shop, and they spelt vegetables "vegitibles".

I'm not joking.

Strangely, the shop went under about 3 months after that.

What the heck are "spelt vegetables" ? :eek:

Spelt - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

spelt : an ancient wheat (Triticum spelta syn. T. aestivum spelta) with spikelets containing two light red grains; also : the grain of spelt

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

I have been to their Lansing one a couple of times.
Always had good food and good service there.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I have been to their Lansing one a couple of times.
Always had good food and good service there.

Agree 100%....best Italian food in this area. Have not been there for a while, the menu has changed...prices are like this now

(Insert choice of menu item here) 11 or 13 or 14.5

Mostly even numbers, no cents given, 11 means $11, no dollar signs....WEIRD

Bison

Bison

There seems to be plenty of interest in grass-fed beef, at least in the Georgia/Alabama border area where I do a lot of cycling. I see a lot of cows eating grass, so it must be profitable.

I understand that they're grass-fed until a short time before they're slaughtered -- then they get switched to something else to improve the taste. I'll bet Bison knows what that would be.
There is no money in raising beef,grass fed or grain fed.
The packing plant and the retailer are the ones making the dough.

JDgreen

JDgreen

There is no money in raising beef,grass fed or grain fed.
The packing plant and the retailer are the ones making the dough.

I can well imagine....was reading a book last week about a man who was flying first class, he met a woman who was in the ad business, she told him for almost all products be they food, clothing, etc. the farmer, garment maker, etc. make very little profit compared to the cost paid to advertise and sell the product.

Bison

Bison

I never leave tip, AFAIAC its not my duty to supplement the waitresses or cooks wages,that is the restaurant owners his responsibillity :tongue:

Bison

Bison

I can well imagine....was reading a book last week about a man who was flying first class, he met a woman who was in the ad business, she told him for almost all products be they food, clothing, etc. the farmer, garment maker, etc. make very little profit compared to the cost paid to advertise and sell the product.
Yes,and it makes me puke.:thumbdown:

Now,raising and selling bison is a whole diff can of worms.

Pro$it,Pro$it,Pro$it:thumbsup:

wjjones

wjjones

I would love to try Bison, and or beefalo but no one around here has it...:frown:..

wjjones

wjjones

Yes,and it makes me puke.:thumbdown:

Now,raising and selling bison is a whole diff can of worms.

Pro$it,Pro$it,Pro$it:thumbsup:

Yep i just looked at some Buffalo jerky in a magazine $24.99 for 8ozs..plus shipping..