resistor plugs or not

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When i joined the army i went to military intelligence basic morse school. You got 13 weeks to be able to copy 18 WPM. Wash out rate was 50%. You sat 55 minutes per hour copying code 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 13 weeks. In my prime i could copy 22 WPM of canned code. But that was 40+ years ago.
I probably would have wash out. I tried tapes and classes but got no where with it. I finally order a Heathkit CW keyboard kit and then I finally got the hang of it. IT still took a year after getting the keyboard. When went to take my technician test I passed on the first try. I even passed my General test the first time but boy was I worried about my code coping skills.

My first real contact was on 80 meters using my spider web antenna sitting my room. It took over 30 minutes but the guy on the end was patient with me. Code don't seem to have the language as do voice contacts but I still ask what the sender means at times.

Right now the spider web will work as I got GFCI plugs. I still to get off my butt and try the shop plugs; although, I am fairly that they are the problem.

Born2Mow

Threads
Soon you may not have a choice. NGK already stopped making non-resistor plugs.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have used both resistor and non resistor plugs j19lm and rj19lm in push mowers and never saw a difference. Some guys see a difference in hand helds. I pretty much use resistor in all 2 strokes any more. Can't remember last time i ordered non resistor plugs for OPE. I do run nonresistor champ D21 plugs in the 184 LoBoy. Back when i was building WKA 5hp briggs a resistor plug gave about one degree of retard over a nonresistor plug.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have used both resistor and non resistor plugs j19lm and rj19lm in push mowers and never saw a difference. Some guys see a difference in hand helds. I pretty much use resistor in all 2 strokes any more. Can't remember last time i ordered non resistor plugs for OPE. I do run nonresistor champ D21 plugs in the 184 LoBoy. Back when i was building WKA 5hp briggs a resistor plug gave about one degree of retard over a nonresistor plug.
What is because the voltage required to jump the same sized gap on a resistor plug is higher so the magnets need to get just a touch further into ( or out of ) the coil before sufficient voltae has been generated.
Would not have thought it was a full degree at mower revs.
I have gone to the effort of putting a dot on a trimmer flywheel with a corresponding one on the magneto leg to show a customer just how far out of time a non resistor plug is in his engine.
It was overheating because the plain plug was firing too early at 8000 rpm & could not get to 9000 like it should .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can take a stock 5hp briggs 130232 engine and remove the govenor and replace the oil dipper with a better one and the engine will happily turn 6500RPM and not break. Most racers geared their carts to top out at 6000 to 6200 RPM. The weak link is not the rod but the valve guides wearing out. We double stacked brass replacement guides to fix that problem. Adding a tuned header pipe and bumping up the timing with offset keys adds a little bit more power. This is with the stock cam and carb.