Residential use, Which is better ? new 163cc Briggs vs 160cc Honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Residential use, Which is better ? new 163cc Briggs vs 160cc Honda
Looking for input on which engine seems to better for home use only..

Thanks in Advance,.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Consideing all of the grief I get from the new Briggs carbs, I would go with the Honda every day of the week and the nights as well.
There is a reason why the Hondas are a lot more expensive than the Briggs and it is not higher profit margins.
In the 7 years I have been repairing mowers, the only "mechanical " problem I have encountered with any of the Honda engines is from the rocker covers being bashed in so far they foul the rockers.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank You Bert- Been contemplating a new push mower. My old Briggs is still going, but not strong. Cost more than it's worth to even just re-power it.

I been studying the new Honda engines, their GCV 160cc has been in production for over 20 years. So I think they have it well sorted.

Also see they have overhead cam, I guess in some. ... Just seem to be a much better engine design than new Briggs has.. And I read a lot of bad about new Briggs.

Last edited:

primerbulb120

Threads
The 163cc Briggs and Stratton has a tendency to overheat and seize if you look at it wrong. I've never had this issue with other Briggs models.

The Honda GCV160 is a tried and proven engine. I'd prefer to have a separate cylinder head, but since it works well I really can't complain.

The Honda GCV170 (new for 2020) is my new favorite push mower engine. Hasn't been out long enough to see how it holds up after extended use, but based on Honda's track record I doubt there will be issues. Unlike the GCV160, this is a pushrod engine (no OHC) with a top sump design and separate cylinder head. Seems to have a good bit more power than the GCV160, and much easier to work on (except for the starter.) They also have a GCV200 that's replacing the 190.

primerbulb120

Threads
Are you looking for self propel, or just a straight push mower?

primerbulb120

Threads
Consideing all of the grief I get from the new Briggs carbs, I would go with the Honda every day of the week and the nights as well.
There is a reason why the Hondas are a lot more expensive than the Briggs and it is not higher profit margins.
In the 7 years I have been repairing mowers, the only "mechanical " problem I have encountered with any of the Honda engines is from the rocker covers being bashed in so far they foul the rockers.
What issues do you typically run into on the new plastic carbs?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
nice to hear about that gcv170, with an actual cylinder head. (y), I think i would definitely go with Honda power.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What issues do you typically run into on the new plastic carbs?
Apart from the jets falling out, blocking at the slightest provocation , warping and choke springs going week so the choke flaps around like a dunny door in the wing they are fine .
I have given up on them
So I now keep 2 of each king used down here and just swap them over rather than making any attempt to fix a rubbish design

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you looking for self propel, or just a straight push mower?
primerbulb- My Flathead Briggs "L" head is my last of that brand. It served flawlessly for about 14 years. But is slowly dying...Thank You for all your input, about the new Briggs engines,

And on the Honda 160, I thought it was OHC, but OHV is still a big step up from my vintage Flathead.. Yes this would be for home use for the New straight push mower... And plenty big enough in engine size & hp. . I like having a pull cord for a push mower.

I think the tried & proven GCV 160 would be my path for purchase.. Thanks to all who have responded.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Currently studying the Honda HRS 216, don't need the extra bells & whistles..