RER been mowing w/ rear flat tire for last 8 years

The Brain

Threads
  • / RER been mowing w/ rear flat tire for last 8 years
I purchased the replacement tire 8 years ago (along w/ new belt/trans disc/blade/air filter/spark plug ect.) it's still in the closet.I thought I could use my motorcycle tire irons to much work holding down the wheel I'll have to bolt the wheel to something (I have beaten a 13" trailer tire on w/ a deadblow but never again dam.

the tire obviously won't hold air. however the sidewalls are strong enough to surport weight of snapper.

I have 1/2 acre large back yard and the big outer laps shes to fast in 5th gear.barely hold 3rd on big laps.

what I'm saying is the tires flat yes but doesn't effect speed.
now during my last mow where I treated her like a bushhog that tire may effect pushing though the thick.
so doe's it need replacing?
I believe the wheel is to small to fit a convensionale car tire mount machine.
I know a 13" trailer wheel will fit this machine I think that's the smallest wheel.

I actuelly purchase new trailer tires/w/ wheels just to avoid the hassel of how/wear to get mounted dam. rant.
do you Guy's uselly get wheels w/ tires or mount yourself.

the fronts tread is getting kojectie looking in the middle do you also just buy wheel & tire dam again sorryd dam again cause there's 2 fronts.
thanks

Attachments

• tire whole.jpg
    tire whole.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 7
  • new engine installed1.jpg
    new engine installed1.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I repair and replace several mower tires every year here. The mini tire changer that HFT sells helps but sometimes it comes down to flat blade screwdrivers on the remount especially old tires. The smaller the rim the harder they are to get off and on. For me it is the 4" and 5" rims that are a major pain. 6" are not so bad. I done install about 15 tubes this year so far and one new 15 x 600 - 6 tire.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take them to a tire shop. Never try this at home like you found out. Not worth the few bucks to have it done with NO stress LOL.

To answer your question about replacing a dead tire. Yes replace it. Running a dead tire puts a big strain on the entire mower. Same with a car or truck. In a car or truck, the transmission actually runs hotter creating more wear with low or flat tires. This wears out the transmission. Also eats more fuel and so on.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A round tuit job is to make a tyre changing tool post for the big ( 36" swing ) lathe.
In the mean time it is a car tyre changer to break the beads and a slightly modified small tyre changer similar to the HF ones for the little wheels
As I specalize in older locally made mowers, I do lot of 4" rims and yes they are a pain.

As for ZTR fronts, I have found ribbed tyres seem to work best .

The Brain

Threads
I'll carry it to costco next time there. will report back w/ results.

tagpop

Threads
If its a 10 inch or smaller use your bench Vice and 2 pairs vice-grips and 2 flat screw drivers and some soapy water and about an hour you will have the job done. You also get a chance to paint the inside of the wheel which is probably rusty after all those years. While removing the old tire you will learn a few tricks about the bead on these small tires. I like to put tubes in my tires but tubeless is ok (replace the valve stem).

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll carry it to costco next time there. will report back w/ results.
Costco? I would use a real tire shop. Find an old out of the way shop that carries tubes and tires for these small rims.

slomo

The Brain

Threads
just removed wheel that thing was tight probable never been removed since new.
please don't tell me there's a tube in there
the tire I have is tubeless.

edit: the wheel & tire seamed extremely heavey for a little tire about 35LBs it didn't feel like it was full of fuild or anything inside tire really weird seams like it should weight less than 10LBs for both.

if costco gives restistance I know another mom pop place.

Last edited:

The Brain

Threads
If its a 10 inch or smaller use your bench Vice and 2 pairs vice-grips and 2 flat screw drivers and some soapy water and about an hour you will have the job done. You also get a chance to paint the inside of the wheel which is probably rusty after all those years. While removing the old tire you will learn a few tricks about the bead on these small tires. I like to put tubes in my tires but tubeless is ok (replace the valve stem).
ten " or smaller think I'll buy the wheel and tire which reminds me one of my front is kojected wierd how one is kojected other still has thread (remember I purchased at e-auction so I have no history of my snapper).
confused why you would add a tube to a tubeless tire exspecialy w/ low PSI? Thanks

when I beat the boat trailers tires on w/ a deadblow hammer I used big tin snipes to cut the bead and remove old tire.plus I don't have a vice.
I friend told me never invest in a new vice only concider a made 1930 model all others fail.is this true or false?

Bob175

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a YouTube video that shows an easy way to remove the tire from the rim.