Requesting Suggestions: ZTR Mower Purchase

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure what to say about that... You told me you had one.

Anyways, lets just help the guy out here on choosing a mower. A Toro SS4200 would be a good mower. It is at the maximum of your budget tho.
If you would want to buy used, well that is a whole new story. You really have to be careful.
It would be nice to know how many acres you are going to mow.

Not sure what to say about that? I told you I do have one (a BMW) and I do own a BMW just not one with handlebars which was how the reference was made. That's why I made the comment I really couldn't say as I've never owned either so there's no war there. I mean really if you use the reference BMW and Harley Davidson in the same sentence one would assume your talking about motorcycles.

If you read the post the OP he said:

Looking to purchase a ZTR riding mower before our mowing season starts in 3-4 months and said
- Have about an acre, with a few decorative islands that I have to mow around.
- I need the ability to bag, and I'd like to sharpen the blades myself, so easy access under the deck (without having a jack or jack-stands) is a must.

I gave him my opinion of the cheapest model available with easy access to under the deck and I commented later in the thread It's the cheapest flip up deck he is going to buy, His other alternative would be the Hustler Raptor which you can get for about $2495 and then buy the Mo-Jack for his lift

MoJack EZ 300 lb Lawn Mower Lift -The MoJack

or a mower jack like this from Northern Tool for $149

Pro-Lift Hydraulic Lawn Mower Lift, Model# T-5350 | Lawn Mower Lifts| Northern Tool + Equipment

Now personally I wouldn't try mowing an acre of land with a cheap MTD product, however if the OP likes the MTD line I'd go with there high end Cub Cadet Z Force with the Kohler Engine along with at least the 2800 drives. it would do the job nicely but again there's no easy access under the deck without having a jack or jack-stands.

Last edited:

possum

Threads
Those cheap Toro zero turns have decks that come off in only a few minutes. You do have to kneel or squat down but there is no hard work or heavy lifting. I know a fellow that has two different ones and he has no problem doing the blades. He is 80 and has severe COPD. He does an acre with one and less with the other.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's the cheapest flip up deck he is going to buy, His other alternative would be the Hustler Raptor which you can get for about $2495 and the buy the Mojack for his lift. I sure would waste $10000 on a Briggs & Stratton Product.

The country clipper wrangler is another option. Comes standard with a flip up deck. Also has single joystick controls. Price range between 3 and 4k.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The country clipper wrangler is another option. Comes standard with a flip up deck. Also has single joystick controls. Price range between 3 and 4k.

There are a few company's that have the flip up decks, like Hustler, Husqvarna with there R220T, Exmark I believe they have a flip up on there Navigator, Kubota I believe has one along with Walker Mower but most are on the expensive side 4K and up.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are a few company's that have the flip up decks, like Hustler, Husqvarna with there R220T, Exmark I believe they have a flip up on there Navigator, Kubota I believe has one along with Walker Mower but most are on the expensive side 4K and up.

As I said the country clipper wrangler is available between the 3 and 4k range. Every model country clipper makes comes with a flip up deck. They have been making them for years. That is the most affordable ztr on the market that has a flip up deck. The r 220t isn't a ztr it's an articulating mower and runs over 5k. The kubota's I have seen have a front axle that pivots like a jack on some of their higher end models which will run 6k plus. I will have to take your word for the exmark line, but I would wager they run 6k plus as well. Walker makes a fine mower as well, but a little out of the op's price range.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I said the country clipper wrangler is available between the 3 and 4k range. Every model country clipper makes comes with a flip up deck. They have been making them for years. That is the most affordable ztr on the market that has a flip up deck. The r 220t isn't a ztr it's an articulating mower and runs over 5k. The kubota's I have seen have a front axle that pivots like a jack on some of their higher end models which will run 6k plus. I will have to take your word for the exmark line, but I would wager they run 6k plus as well. Walker makes a fine mower as well, but a little out of the op's price range.

Most all the flip up deck models are going to be out of the OP's price range. I know the Husqvarna is an articulating mower but the deck does flip up manually. The R 220T can be purchased for I believe their site says $3995. The Exmark I think is over 10K and Toro has the Direct Collect 8000 model, which is the same mower just different name. The thing is for the budget the op's talking about regardless whether he buys a cheap ZTR or a Lawn Tractor, without a lift of some type cleaning the deck and sharpening blades going to be a problem. That's the reason I suggested the Hustler Raptor for $2495 with a $149. lift from Northern Tool. Cost would be right at 3k.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most all the flip up deck models are going to be out of the OP's price range. I know the Husqvarna is an articulating mower but the deck does flip up manually. The R 220T can be purchased for I believe their site says $3995. The Exmark I think is over 10K and Toro has the Direct Collect 8000 model, which is the same mower just different name. The thing is for the budget the op's talking about regardless whether he buys a cheap ZTR or a Lawn Tractor, without a lift of some type cleaning the deck and sharpening blades going to be a problem. That's the reason I suggested the Hustler Raptor for $2495 with a $149. lift from Northern Tool. Cost would be right at 3k.

That's the reason I suggested the country clipper wrangler. It fits the categories the op requested and is in the ball park in budget. I didn't start naming mowers that are either way out of the op's budget, or were not ztr mowers. I agree that the most cost efficient would be a cheap ztr with a mow jack, but the op asked about mowers in the 2 to 3k range that offered a flip up deck. A 42" wrangler will run about $3200 to $3300 and offers exactly what the op was asking for. It makes no sense to name a bunch of mowers that doesnt fall into the category that the op is requesting.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's the reason I suggested the country clipper wrangler. It fits the categories the op requested and is in the ball park in budget. I didn't start naming mowers that are either way out of the op's budget, or were not ztr mowers. I agree that the most cost efficient would be a cheap ztr with a mow jack, but the op asked about mowers in the 2 to 3k range that offered a flip up deck. A 42" wrangler will run about $3200 to $3300 and offers exactly what the op was asking for. It makes no sense to name a bunch of mowers that doesnt fall into the category that the op is requesting.

I'm not telling or suggesting that he spend a ton of money on one of those mowers, I was pointing out he couldn't get what he was looking for with the money he was wanting to spend. For an acre of ground I was pointing out the cheapest Ztr and jack that would do the job the most efficient for the money he wants to spend. That IMO would be the Hustler Raptor 52" deck with a jack for Northern tool for under 3K. In comparison the Country Clipper Wrangler price for there 52" is $4695.

Last edited:

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not telling or suggesting that he spend a ton of money on one of those mowers, I was pointing out he couldn't get what he was looking for with the money he was wanting to spend. For an acre of ground I was pointing out the cheapest Ztr and jack that would do the job the most efficient for the money he wants to spend. That IMO would be the Hustler Raptor 52" deck with a jack for Northern tool for under 3K. In comparison the Country Clipper Wrangler price for there 52" is $5752.95.

http://www.lawnmowerhosp.com/product/country-clipper-wrangler-zero-turn-rider-1107

The op also doesn't need a 52" deck for 1 acre. I never mentioned the 52" version. The 42" would more than meet his/her needs and is in the price range. None of the other brands offer a flip up deck anywhere near that price ($3200 to $3300). Btw, I can get a country clipper challenger for the price you listed. Before you correct me i miss typed the deck size. It is a 41" not a 42".

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The op also doesn't need a 52" deck for 1 acre. I never mentioned the 52" version. The 42" would more than meet his/her needs and is in the price range. None of the other brands offer a flip up deck anywhere near that price ($3200 to $3300). Btw, I can get a country clipper challenger for the price you listed. Before you correct me i miss typed the deck size. It is a 41" not a 42".

The WCC 52" is $4695 The 41" is $3595. The Huistler 52 at full price is only $2999 and would be a much faster cut and it also come with a 23 Hp kawasaki not the 21.5 IMO much more mower for the money. Now I may be wrong but I think that deck on the WCC is manual isn't it? That jack from Northern is a Hydraulic and easy to use, I've almost got myself ready to buy one of those. $149 for that jack is a good price.