Replacing Crafstman walk behind

CharlesD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, we had a Craftsman at our previous house and I hit a stump and bent the shaft and ended up replacing it with another Craftsman which I've used for about 5 years. Now we're in a new house and it's a wooded lot that doesn't have a whole lot that actually needs to be mowed, but it's kind of rough. I hit another stump the other day. Never even saw it as there was only an inch or so sticking up and there was grass grown around it. I ended up with another bent shaft.

So now I've been reading a lot online and I keep seeing that a forged shaft is stronger than a cast shaft, but I can't seem to find which mowers have forged shafts and the vest wearing folks at Home Depot and Lowe's don't seem to be able to give me this information either. I just want something sturdy that's going to last for a while. I know that I need to be somewhat careful and not go around hitting stumps and whatnot, but I am not buying another Craftsman. Any recommendations?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't think you are going to find any forged crankshafts any more for lawnmowers. They were discontinued over twenty years ago. I suggest that you purchase a mower with the shortest crankshaft you can find. The is less chance in bending when you hit something.

jimrs

Threads
If it was sticking up only a inch your cutting your grass too low. I use a 8" elect chain saw and cut all stumps even with the ground. Or you can get a stump grinder at a local rental shop and grind them off below ground.