Export thread

Replacing Crafstman walk behind

C

CharlesD

Ok, we had a Craftsman at our previous house and I hit a stump and bent the shaft and ended up replacing it with another Craftsman which I've used for about 5 years. Now we're in a new house and it's a wooded lot that doesn't have a whole lot that actually needs to be mowed, but it's kind of rough. I hit another stump the other day. Never even saw it as there was only an inch or so sticking up and there was grass grown around it. I ended up with another bent shaft.

So now I've been reading a lot online and I keep seeing that a forged shaft is stronger than a cast shaft, but I can't seem to find which mowers have forged shafts and the vest wearing folks at Home Depot and Lowe's don't seem to be able to give me this information either. I just want something sturdy that's going to last for a while. I know that I need to be somewhat careful and not go around hitting stumps and whatnot, but I am not buying another Craftsman. Any recommendations?

R

Rivets

Don't think you are going to find any forged crankshafts any more for lawnmowers. They were discontinued over twenty years ago. I suggest that you purchase a mower with the shortest crankshaft you can find. The is less chance in bending when you hit something.

jimrs

jimrs

If it was sticking up only a inch your cutting your grass too low. I use a 8" elect chain saw and cut all stumps even with the ground. Or you can get a stump grinder at a local rental shop and grind them off below ground.

P

Practical Consumer

You make want to take a different thought process to buying your next mower. Maybe your should buy an economically priced mower and assume that it is only going to last you 5 years. Also if you lot is rough I would buy a mower with tall back wheels.
Buying a New Push Lawn Mower | The Practical Consumer