Replacing broken Craftsman sockets

MowersAreEvil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Would you believe that I still have a few tools from JCPenney back in the 70s when they tried to compete with Craftsman. They also had the lifetime warranty. They have continued to honor that warranty each time I've needed it by directing me to purchase a replacement somewhere else, being a receipt, and reimbursing me. It's been about 5 years since I've done that and since I've already replaced or lost most of the JCPenney tools now, it's probably not worth going through the process any more. JCPenney tools were worth the price back then but they really couldn't keep up with Craftsman.

nbpt100

Threads
Would you believe that I still have a few tools from JCPenney back in the 70s when they tried to compete with Craftsman. They also had the lifetime warranty. They have continued to honor that warranty each time I've needed it by directing me to purchase a replacement somewhere else, being a receipt, and reimbursing me. It's been about 5 years since I've done that and since I've already replaced or lost most of the JCPenney tools now, it's probably not worth going through the process any more. JCPenney tools were worth the price back then but they really couldn't keep up with Craftsman.
I never had a JC Penny close by to me so I have never stepped foot in one. What Brand name did JC Penny put on their tools? I may have come across some and did not even know it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Powercraft, if my brain has not forgotten everything.
I‘m editing my reply. Penncraft should be the correct answer.
Powercraft as stated below is Monkey Ward.

Last edited:

Diwali

Threads
Cool, Good price. I'm kinda overfull on tools. (Did I say that ?) I have 4 of each socket & wrench. I paint my SAE stuff Chevy Orange. & all Metric is Blue.
Not all over, just a pass w/rattle can to know the diff instantly.
Great idea to paint the sockets! Although, here in UK everything is metric except my 16 year old Craftsman LT2000 (US made) that has to have its own set of sockets!

Threads
Just went today to Ace Hdwre. to replace some broken Craftsman sockets.. Mine are old & were made in USA.
Replacement is from china.

But was surprised ie: 10mm 6 point deep-well from Craftsman / china was visibly thicker walled construction.. Surprised.
Does anyone honor PowerCraft, the old Montgomery Ward brand which was supposed to be a lifetime guarantee also? I have a set from back in the 1970's which I still use. They are good quality and I haven't broken any, lately anyway.

srwa

Threads
Couple years ago had a Craftsman 1/2 inch drive ratchet that would not "ratchet" ,internal gear broken. Could not find parts. Called Craftsman 800# , believe I got the 800# from Lowes,explained the situation, man said give him the number on the ratchet. I did, said he would put a new ratchet in mail. Ask him where to send the broken ratchet, said he didn't want it back.

MowersAreEvil

Forum Newbie
Threads
I never had a JC Penny close by to me so I have never stepped foot in one. What Brand name did JC Penny put on their tools? I may have come across some and did not even know it.
If i recall, JCPenney put their own name on their tools. I don't remember any sub brand name. JCPenney has a pretty large catalog with a diverse amount of types of tools. Now that i think back, i worked for JCPenney while in high school around 1975 or so and i bought my first big set of tools from JCPenney since i got an employee discount.

13brian

Threads
It is thicker because it is made from a cheaper lower strength steel, not because it is better
Look at the premium snap ons and Sthalwilie spannars that are 1/2 the thickness because they are made from a much stronger steel .
Saw OP, came in to say the same thing.

nbpt100

Threads
Saw OP, came in to say the same thing.
It may be as strong or stronger than the the thinner tool truck brands. We dont know. But it is not optimized for getting in to tight spaces and still being strong enough to take typical abuse.

13brian

Threads
Couple years ago had a Craftsman 1/2 inch drive ratchet that would not "ratchet" ,internal gear broken. Could not find parts. Called Craftsman 800# , believe I got the 800# from Lowes,explained the situation, man said give him the number on the ratchet. I did, said he would put a new ratchet in mail. Ask him where to send the broken ratchet, said he didn't want it back.

Sears stopped providing rebuild kits many years ago too. Just started replacing the ratchets, I was not happy about that so much. But, they were honoring warranty still.