Export thread

Replacing broken Craftsman sockets

Just went today to Ace Hdwre. to replace some broken Craftsman sockets.. Mine are old & were made in USA.
Replacement is from china.

But was surprised ie: 10mm 6 point deep-well from Craftsman / china was visibly thicker walled construction.. Surprised.

B

bertsmobile1

It is thicker because it is made from a cheaper lower strength steel, not because it is better
Look at the premium snap ons and Sthalwilie spannars that are 1/2 the thickness because they are made from a much stronger steel .

StarTech

StarTech

This why I prefer to buy impact rated sockets. Less of a chance of getting low quality sockets. But any tool there can be defects beyond visible inspection. I had some very expensive wrenches to break before the cheaper Chinese ones.

Also one of brothers had a toolbox he left when he die that was full of broken sockets. I think most of were broken using pull bars and impacts which they were not design to used with.

Personally I not broken any the wrenches or socket other than one Blackhawk wrench which was defective. I just wear them out.

F

Forest#2

I've heard a rumor that Lowes will honor Craftsman tool lifetime warranties.

It is thicker because it is made from a cheaper lower strength steel, not because it is better
Look at the premium snap ons and Sthalwilie spannars that are 1/2 the thickness because they are made from a much stronger steel .
Yep, I figured same thing.

This why I prefer to buy impact rated sockets. Less of a chance of getting low quality sockets. But any tool there can be defects beyond visible inspection. I had some very expensive wrenches to break before the cheaper Chinese ones.

Also one of brothers had a toolbox he left when he die that was full of broken sockets. I think most of were broken using pull bars and impacts which they were not design to used with.

Personally I not broken any the wrenches or socket other than one Blackhawk wrench which was defective. I just wear them out.
I have impact sockets as well, just not in 1/4" drive.

Lowes does honor the Craftsman warranty around here for sure. As well as Napa, Amazon, Ace, Atwoods Ranch & Home, & others, I'm sure.

Many hopped on the Craftsman name.

StarTech

StarTech

I have impact sockets as well, just not in 1/4" drive.
I got a whole set of 1/4 impact sockets (SAE and metric, shallow and deep well) with carrying case that I brought a couple years ago for around $40 thru Amazon.

Cool, Good price. I'm kinda overfull on tools. (Did I say that ?) I have 4 of each socket & wrench. I paint my SAE stuff Chevy Orange. & all Metric is Blue.
Not all over, just a pass w/rattle can to know the diff instantly.

B

bertsmobile1

I keep mine on coloured rails blue = metric red = US green = Whit + BA +BSC + Ad

Mine are on racks as well. the handles are Orange & the other is Blue. I just like the wrenches & sockets having a bit of color also.

H

hlw49

I work at an Ace Hardware and we have a lot of Milwaukee tools looks like Ace is switching to Milkwaukee tools. We still have some Craftsman but not as many as the Milwaukee.

The guy at our local Ace said same thing. Milwaukee is their biggest brand..
Then Craftsman, & Dewalt for power tools.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I work at an Ace Hardware and we have a lot of Milwaukee tools looks like Ace is switching to Milkwaukee tools. We still have some Craftsman but not as many as the Milwaukee.
a new Ace opened up close by and its almost all Milwaukee.

a new Ace opened up close by and its almost all Milwaukee.
They must be doing ok. New one soon to open here too.

H

hlw49

I have a lot of old Craftsman tools I bought right out of NADC. Still some of the best tools I have ever owned. They had the best rachets I ever used. The Milwaukee tools sure are bright and shiney.

Most of my hand tools are Craftsman & well over 35 + years old.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Most of my hand tools are Craftsman & well over 35 + years old.
thats older than me:ROFLMAO:

G

gregjo1948

Just went today to Ace Hdwre. to replace some broken Craftsman sockets.. Mine are old & were made in USA.

But was surprised ie: 10mm 6 point deep-well from Craftsman / china was visibly thicker walled construction.. Surprised.
They may be thicker, but what is the quality of the steal?

R

Ronni

I have been using sockets on autos for many years and have never broken a socket; impact sockets are for specific applications like wheels with an impact wrench only.

E

Ed in Virginia

Yes, I believe their metal is called "Chinesium" - not the same as good ole Murican steel.

B

Brucebotti

I was disappointed when I went to Lowes a few days ago to exchange an old ratchet that broke. The employee at the Courtesy desk said of course we will, as long as it’s the same model number. Obviously none of their model numbers even remotely matched.

T

twisted99

How did they replace them? I swapped out 2 ratchet handles at ACE about a year ago, and they just took the broken ones, and "rang up" the new ones at $0. Went lats week to replace a socket, and was told to scan this QR code and follow the prompt, when that didn't work, wrong QR, they gave me a number to call, that also wasn't working, they tried to call too, so they just rang it up at $0.

H

hlw49

Yes, I believe their metal is called "Chinesium" - not the same as good ole Murican steel.
LOL

P

pollishpickle

I have some impact sockets that I broke using a heavy duty impact wrench

StarTech

StarTech

I have been using sockets on autos for many years and have never broken a socket; impact sockets are for specific applications like wheels with an impact wrench only.
That what I try to explain to new mechanics that you must use the tools correctly. When you do many can serve you a lifetime. Some however will wear out quicker than others especially the common used 12 pt sockets and wrenches. And of course we do lose a few here and there. About half of my tools are 40+ yrs old. Now I have been constantly new tools every since 2009 but those are ones that I never had before. Especially those that most sets skips over like a 22mm that I use a lot.

Now of there are the custom made ones that I guard rather closely. Sorta the one that machine got to make for me now. Expensive.
1709384919684.png
I have some impact sockets that I broke using a heavy duty impact wrench
Hmmm I never had a broken socket and I have been using these since the 70's.

N

nbpt100

The Craftsman warranty at Lowes and Ace all depends on who is working and also by location. Sometimes they will tell you to call the C'man 800 number and they do not want to be involved. Other times they swap it out with something similar on the shelf. It is not always consistent. One of my local Ace' stores said they will only honor the warranty if you bought it from them. Otherwise you have to deal with Craftsman directly. It is not like the old days when you could walk into any Sears and no questions asked, get a new tool. If they did not have the exact one they would give you something similar. Those days are over. Sears sold the Craftman brand to Stanley Black and Decker(SBD) about 6 or 7 years ago. There are only a handful of Sears or Kmart stores left. I have not stepped foot in one in about the same time. I am not sure how they would handle it. Even with a Kobalt or Husky warranty, it can be similar. I have read more accounts of HD being less friendly on warranty replacement. More and more stores want you to deal directly with the tool Brand. That can be a deterant as it takes time and perhaps money to mail the broken tool back. Again Craftsman warranty seems to be inconsistent based on my experince and many accounts I read on other message boards focused on tools. A lot of people who where Cman fans and are not happy with the cheapened quality as they sent most of their manufacturing over seas have swithch to Tekton. They have an excellent warranty process. Generaly you send them a picture of the broken tool and they mail out a new one. Most of their products are made in Tiawan. Most people today will agree Tiawan can make some excellent tools. I own some Tekton tools and see them as an excellent mid grade tool company. Not tool truck quality but priced generally in line with Cman or maybe a bit less in some cases. They have realy stepped up their game in the past 15 years.

R

Rivets

I have a set of 1/2” “Industro” sockets, ratchet, break bar and 6” extension in its original metal box. 7/16” —- 1 1/16”. Passed down from my dad and have never broken a socket or needed the ratchet repaired. Has to over 70 years old and has taken more abuse than any tool should get. Nothing today is built as well as this set. Wish my son was a mechanic.

StarTech

StarTech

Now Rivets you know this younger generation just wants it as easy as they can get by with. This why our industry and the farm industry is dying out due to lack of new qualified workers.

R

Rivets

Well he has a job which pays him twice as much as I ever made, doesn’t have to get his hands dirty, in a field which is almost recession proof. He was brought up knowing how to work since 12 years old. Knows how to use tools, but I’m proud that he has outdone is dad and is better able to enjoy family and life.

M

MowersAreEvil

Would you believe that I still have a few tools from JCPenney back in the 70s when they tried to compete with Craftsman. They also had the lifetime warranty. They have continued to honor that warranty each time I've needed it by directing me to purchase a replacement somewhere else, being a receipt, and reimbursing me. It's been about 5 years since I've done that and since I've already replaced or lost most of the JCPenney tools now, it's probably not worth going through the process any more. JCPenney tools were worth the price back then but they really couldn't keep up with Craftsman.

N

nbpt100

Would you believe that I still have a few tools from JCPenney back in the 70s when they tried to compete with Craftsman. They also had the lifetime warranty. They have continued to honor that warranty each time I've needed it by directing me to purchase a replacement somewhere else, being a receipt, and reimbursing me. It's been about 5 years since I've done that and since I've already replaced or lost most of the JCPenney tools now, it's probably not worth going through the process any more. JCPenney tools were worth the price back then but they really couldn't keep up with Craftsman.
I never had a JC Penny close by to me so I have never stepped foot in one. What Brand name did JC Penny put on their tools? I may have come across some and did not even know it.

R

Rivets

Powercraft, if my brain has not forgotten everything.
I‘m editing my reply. Penncraft should be the correct answer.
Powercraft as stated below is Monkey Ward.

D

Diwali

Cool, Good price. I'm kinda overfull on tools. (Did I say that ?) I have 4 of each socket & wrench. I paint my SAE stuff Chevy Orange. & all Metric is Blue.
Not all over, just a pass w/rattle can to know the diff instantly.
Great idea to paint the sockets! Although, here in UK everything is metric except my 16 year old Craftsman LT2000 (US made) that has to have its own set of sockets!

The Maintenance Guy

The Maintenance Guy

Does anyone honor PowerCraft, the old Montgomery Ward brand which was supposed to be a lifetime guarantee also? I have a set from back in the 1970's which I still use. They are good quality and I haven't broken any, lately anyway.

S

srwa

Couple years ago had a Craftsman 1/2 inch drive ratchet that would not "ratchet" ,internal gear broken. Could not find parts. Called Craftsman 800# , believe I got the 800# from Lowes,explained the situation, man said give him the number on the ratchet. I did, said he would put a new ratchet in mail. Ask him where to send the broken ratchet, said he didn't want it back.

M

MowersAreEvil

I never had a JC Penny close by to me so I have never stepped foot in one. What Brand name did JC Penny put on their tools? I may have come across some and did not even know it.
If i recall, JCPenney put their own name on their tools. I don't remember any sub brand name. JCPenney has a pretty large catalog with a diverse amount of types of tools. Now that i think back, i worked for JCPenney while in high school around 1975 or so and i bought my first big set of tools from JCPenney since i got an employee discount.

13brian

Saw OP, came in to say the same thing.

N

nbpt100

Saw OP, came in to say the same thing.
It may be as strong or stronger than the the thinner tool truck brands. We dont know. But it is not optimized for getting in to tight spaces and still being strong enough to take typical abuse.

13brian

Couple years ago had a Craftsman 1/2 inch drive ratchet that would not "ratchet" ,internal gear broken. Could not find parts. Called Craftsman 800# , believe I got the 800# from Lowes,explained the situation, man said give him the number on the ratchet. I did, said he would put a new ratchet in mail. Ask him where to send the broken ratchet, said he didn't want it back.

Sears stopped providing rebuild kits many years ago too. Just started replacing the ratchets, I was not happy about that so much. But, they were honoring warranty still.

13brian

It may be as strong or stronger than the the thinner tool truck brands. We dont know. But it is not optimized for getting in to tight spaces and still being strong enough to take typical abuse.
I completely agree, that was the point I intended. Good clarification

S

sparg45

They have been for years since they started selling Craftsman.

S

srwa

Correct me if I'M wrong.........Several years ago K-MART was in bankruptcy....They bought Sears.

How does that work???

I have a "mom & pop" hamburger joint that has 5 places around town. I file bankruptcy. Can I go buy McDonalds?...........and with what??

T

TobyU

I have been renting on cars for many decades and started on bicycles when I was about 5 years old and then went on to lawn mowers before I got to cars
Most of these repairs have been with Craftsman Brand products especially the sockets and ratchets.
Most of these of course were made by Danaher tools or whoever might have been making them before that but that was the last good USA manufacturing company who had the Craftsman contract.
I have broken a number or I guess I should say a few sockets over the years.
Typically they will crack and I have cracked quarter inch Drive sockets from just using a quarter inch drive ratchet on them and I have broken 3/8 Drive sockets from just having a 3/8 drive socket on them so there was no increase torque or adapters or breaker bars.
I also started breaking the ratchets once we got up into the early 2000s or maybe around 2003 to 2005 as the quality was getting so low with the plastic lever and not so great gear mechanism inside.
It's a little dangerous when you put some good pressure on a ratchet and it slips and makes it a real knuckle buster.

It's never been an epidemic thing but as I said I've probably broken maybe a grand total of 12 to 15 sockets over the years but I certainly do a lot more work than most people.

I feel that Craftsman is more than enough quality for the average person and even the backyard mechanic and even for professional mechanics if they had the upgraded Craftsman professional series ratchets that were available for a while those would suffice nicely.
There is no way you will convince me it's worth paying three times as much or more for snap-on and Mac etc.
They are not even twice as good as a Craftsman but they cost 3 to 5 times more.
More recently though, Craftsman fit and finish has gone downhill some and Husky is just as good if not better and Kobalt is a little better than both of those.
The prices between all of these is not that much different even though the husky is probably the cheapest of the group and I would prefer to have those over Craftsman currently.

T

TobyU

I was disappointed when I went to Lowes a few days ago to exchange an old ratchet that broke. The employee at the Courtesy desk said of course we will, as long as it’s the same model number. Obviously none of their model numbers even remotely matched.
I could warranty that ratchet. I guarantee it.
Do you have the original receipt? This could actually be the problem.
Because the number of the one they scan won't come up with the number you have so you basically need to go over to the tool section and find the ratchet that looks the closest to what you have.
These people there don't get paid enough to sweat the little stuff and they have a whole lot of stuff to do throughout their day and they see lots of products and the store carries tens of thousands of products so they can't know much about all of them....
If you walk up there with a Craftsman old ratchet that says Craftsman on it and a new one that looks about like it that says Craftsman on it 8.4 employees out of 10 are going to just go ahead and warranty it out.
Then, make sure you keep the receipt and paperwork they give you with the new one showing the exchange because that might come in handy later.
If that doesn't work, I have other methods but I can return just about anything.

StarTech

StarTech

Just another trick they are using (changing model numbers as they redesign things). Another reason just to buy cheap throw away tools.

T

twisted99

Correct me if I'M wrong.........Several years ago K-MART was in bankruptcy....They bought Sears.

How does that work???

I have a "mom & pop" hamburger joint that has 5 places around town. I file bankruptcy. Can I go buy McDonalds?...........and with what??
Yes they "merged" or something back in the early 2000s. I worked at a "sears" auto center that was an old Kmart store for a few years, it went down in the 2012 round of sears store closings. Bankruptcy works a WHOLE LOT different for corporations compared to the average citizen, I know first hand.

StarTech

StarTech

Just how Briggs paid its CEO and then filed Chapter 7 or 11 to stick it to their suppliers. Sounds like DJT trick to me.

rickfischer51

rickfischer51

There is more to it than lower strength steel. There are special forming grades with alloying elements that have nothing to do with strength, but greatly aid forming. High strength steel will split in the forming dies as easily as low strength if the raw material has rolling flaws. The thinner the wall, the harder to form. The more forming operations, the better the shape, but more work hardening. You can get ahead of the work hardening by annealing before you start, but thats an extra cost. And so on. There are a lot of variables, and they all have to be balanced against performance and cost. Its probably harder to get a Craftsman socket formed correctly than a Snap-on, because Craftsman is at a lower price point.

1madmouse

With quality of Craftsman tools these days if you trade in a new tool for what they have now, it's broken traded for junk. Not really worth my time to see how long it will last. Most all of the tool makers are selling out to China , even Pony and S&K. Hard to find any good tools any more. Of course if you use a 5ft cheater pipe on it, (but I would never do that.), you are on your own. Corporations can write off everything, but labor, and the the executive guys aren't liable for anything.

B

Brucebotti

Thanks for the sound advice. I will try your “hack” this week on my 30-40 year old 3/8 ratchet.
I still remember when they were made in the next town over from me on Craftsman Way in East Windsor, CT. Not sure if they manufactured the whole line there, but I know they made sockets and wrenches.
Bruce

cakmn

cakmn

Thought I'd comment just for fun. I've got an eclectic collection of sockets and ratchets (and wrenches) a great many of which must be at least 80 years old. They were obviously old when I was a little kid, and I'm 76 now. My dad had used them after two of my grandfathers used them, and then I acquired them. None of us have done a great deal of mechanic work, but they've definitely been used and perhaps even abused as home mechanics are often guilty of. I've broken maybe half a dozen sockets – and those have all been new ones that I bought myself. I've definitely used "enhanced" leverage with many of them while working on old things, but have only broken a couple of sockets by doing that. Many are unbranded or mysteriously marked, so I don't know who produced them, but they still work just fine, even those that are quite thin compared to others. I always appreciate being able to work a variety of "ancient" tools I have, including the wrenches, sockets and ratchets.

1madmouse

What is really sad is what do we do when they go all electric? They are already getting rid of ( or trying to) all the gasoline powered stuff or fossil fuel as they like to say. Even though there is proof that all the car chargers are going to run the grid dry, then what? Many of us here have seen what the dealers and manufacturers are doing, discontinued, NLA, can't find parts or won't help. I know some guys like StarTech have some contacts and can cross reference parts, but how long till that is gone. Heck you used to be able to cross reference shocks and maybe still belts, I know i loved the Hollander Books when I worked for a dismantler years ago. I am sure it's all about money. I am glad I found this site with all the great knowledge and experience you guys have. Thank you for being good enough to share that hard earned information with the rest of us. I hope to always be a help here and not a burden or a pest. With all the mowers, tillers and trimmers I have and help work, on this site is a godsend to me. Sorry if I was a bit windy.

T

TobyU

Thought I'd comment just for fun. I've got an eclectic collection of sockets and ratchets (and wrenches) a great many of which must be at least 80 years old. They were obviously old when I was a little kid, and I'm 76 now. My dad had used them after two of my grandfathers used them, and then I acquired them. None of us have done a great deal of mechanic work, but they've definitely been used and perhaps even abused as home mechanics are often guilty of. I've broken maybe half a dozen sockets – and those have all been new ones that I bought myself. I've definitely used "enhanced" leverage with many of them while working on old things, but have only broken a couple of sockets by doing that. Many are unbranded or mysteriously marked, so I don't know who produced them, but they still work just fine, even those that are quite thin compared to others. I always appreciate being able to work a variety of "ancient" tools I have, including the wrenches, sockets and ratchets.
The fact is you can break any socket when you subject it to conditions beyond its design like using a cheater bar on it or using a half inch ratchet with an adapter on a 3/8 drive socket.
I have broken a couple of handfuls of sockets over my 40 plus years of using sockets.
I do a lot of work though so I've used them more than most people.
I don't think I've ever have one shatter and break it a little pieces unless I was using a breaker bar or using what as it impact but normally what happens is they simply get a crack up the side of the socket.
I have done this plenty of times with quarter inch Drive ratchets and 3/8 Drive ratchets.
The argument could be said that if something is so tight that my human arm strength is going to damage a quarter inch Drive socket or the ratchet, that I should go up to a 3/8 drive BUT I don't think it's logical or should be a requirement at all to go past a 3/8 drive ratchet for your normal arm strength.

1madmouse

Oh i have broken a lot of tools, not just from cheater bars. Some for age or cheaply made. I just threw that in for if you do try to cheat it , usually ends up like anything cheated, you lose. Always better to do the right thing, the right way.

B

bartles

B

bartles

Growing up we used "Wizard" tools from our local Western Auto store. Worn out from use I was able to get Sears replacements under warranty. Not sure how the Lowe's store will react.😂

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Interesting thread. I have a crap load of craftsman tools. I have a 5 gal bucket of extra sockets and a half bucket of wrenches. I have used and abused craftsman tools for 50 years. Most of them made by Easco. Never had a problem getting one replaced when it was over abused (you do what you gotta do). Some of the new stuff I have seen really doesn't impress me. Some guys love the tool truck brands and some love harbor freight. I like lots of brands.

I've been wrenchin' Harleys & vehicles over 50 years.
My Dad started me out as his "tool wipe" but I learned the sizes doing this, in time he'd yell for a 3/4" box wrench & I would get it quicker & quicker.

PS: I was also the TV remote after work. He's yell change the channel & I was on it.. Guess I started as the gopher.. LOL

B

bertsmobile1

They must be doing ok. New one soon to open here too.
Because of Biden's good work the economy is booming the share market are at all times highs and money is at a reasonable rate so that sets the scene for well run businesses to borrow big against their share price & expand .

B

bertsmobile1

neither have I apart from the drive pin on one tension wrench
Then again I have Hazet , Britool , Sidchrome ,Dufore , MiniMax, Koken & Stahlwillie mostly because I do not buy crap tools
Different brands for different types of threads because I work on old British cars & bikes where they take pride in using every different thread size & form known to man and then some unique to the maker .
So having different brands of tools makes them easy to sort when the job is done .

I work on old British cars & bikes where they take pride in using every different thread size & form known to man and then some unique to the maker .
Harley does that as well.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Harley does that as well.
Didn’t read all sixty something posts. My take is that if you break a tool, whatever the brand, after years of use and take it back for a new one, you are cheap, probably abused the tool, and are taking advantage of the situation. Suck it up and buy another tool.

StarTech

StarTech

Well I agree most times when a tool breaks it is from abuse but I had one wrench that the open end broke and it was not from misuse but from a defect the was covered by the chrome plating. It was a Blackhawk which I could not get warranted any more due to no local vendors willing to honor the warranty. I just purchase another wrench as it was a size I use quite a bit.

Just purchase a couple sets of box end wrenches (SAE and Metric) that I can afford to throw away if I break one. The 12 wrenches only cost $22 at TSC. That is less $2 each.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Can't resist...

Hey Scrub! My tools are better than your tools.

I know 😜

J

Jimmy the Lock

10mm 6 point deep-well from Craftsman / china was visibly thicker walled construction.. Surprised.

Thicker but probably made from pot metal laughing.gif

R

rhkraft

Probably true about the cheaper less carbon steel. But thin wall is more practical in tight places. I have had Craftsman tools for 68 years and they are all still good. Use an impact socket with an impact wrench. I have cracked some sockets from cheaper brands.

Well so far it is doing the job as intended & I have used cheater bars when needed.

J

Jimmy the Lock

I used to meet interesting ladies at cheater bars back in the day! guitar-jammin2.gif

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Didn’t read all sixty something posts. My take is that if you break a tool, whatever the brand, after years of use and take it back for a new one, you are cheap, probably abused the tool, and are taking advantage of the situation. Suck it up and buy another tool.
Some more reasons to buy a new tool instead of “exchanging it.” Usually by the tool breaks you have used it many times, it has not only paid for itself, it has made you money. You feel so good about the tool that you gladly buy another one. You have integrity and live by doing the right thing, so no need to “exchange “ a 23 year old socket that has been rode hard and put up wet. You enjoy purchasing new tools. It is like buying new clothes for a lady.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I used to meet interesting ladies at cheater bars back in the day! View attachment 67972
Didn't want to tell ya but that one gal was a dude.
😱

StarTech

StarTech

Definitely had to give up on to the night clubs. Never know what you are dealing with now days. Not worth it anymore.

1madmouse

I tolerated all that crap until the gender thing, now it is out of hand . Have to draw the line somewhere. That stuff wouldn't fly when I was a kid. Kinda got off track, how about those sockets. Nothing is like it used to be.

StarTech

StarTech

What I am finding hard to find is four\eight point sockets. But they have come with five point sockets now too. Oh well got buy another large box and cabinet plus might to expand the shop just for the tool boxes.

R

RaulMcCai

once long long ago craftsman was as good as Snap On now is is shit pure shit

Well my tools are vintage, so they are from a time when they were great,..

F

farmerdave1954

Well my tools are vintage, so they are from a time when they were great,..
Same here. I took an automechanics class in Vo-Tech my senior year in 1972. A local auto parts place put together a special toolbox package for students with basic hand tools in a nice metal toolbox. It was made by Blackhawk. It cost $110 for students. Full set of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets, ratchets, breakover bars, extensions, regular and deep sockets, hammers, pliers, speed handle, and combination hand wrenches from 1/4" through 3/4". Sockets went up to 1-1/8 inch. That was 50+ years ago. All the tools have survived a lot of use and abuse over the years, and are still as good as when they were new. I've lost 5 or 6 of the tools in the set over the years, but replaced them with original Blackhawk when they were still made the same. Then they started getting thicker and quality started going down. Probably coincident with moving production overseas. But, along came the internet and Flea-Bay, and I was able to find original Blackhawk tools to replace all missing items. I even bought some spares for the most used sizes. I have never broken a single one of the tools in the set, and I have used them hard over the years maintaining equipment on the farm and 50 years of tractors, trucks, mowers, balers, cars, motorcycles, and everything the kids, grandkids and neighbors could throw at me. I also have a lot of original Craftsman and miscellaneous other brands of hand tools, but seldom ever use them.

T

TobyU

Same here. I took an automechanics class in Vo-Tech my senior year in 1972. A local auto parts place put together a special toolbox package for students with basic hand tools in a nice metal toolbox. It was made by Blackhawk. It cost $110 for students. Full set of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets, ratchets, breakover bars, extensions, regular and deep sockets, hammers, pliers, speed handle, and combination hand wrenches from 1/4" through 3/4". Sockets went up to 1-1/8 inch. That was 50+ years ago. All the tools have survived a lot of use and abuse over the years, and are still as good as when they were new. I've lost 5 or 6 of the tools in the set over the years, but replaced them with original Blackhawk when they were still made the same. Then they started getting thicker and quality started going down. Probably coincident with moving production overseas. But, along came the internet and Flea-Bay, and I was able to find original Blackhawk tools to replace all missing items. I even bought some spares for the most used sizes. I have never broken a single one of the tools in the set, and I have used them hard over the years maintaining equipment on the farm and 50 years of tractors, trucks, mowers, balers, cars, motorcycles, and everything the kids, grandkids and neighbors could throw at me. I also have a lot of original Craftsman and miscellaneous other brands of hand tools, but seldom ever use them.
I guess for most of your tools that's okay but I don't see how you can go over 15 to 20 years with tools you use a whole lot without damaging one, maybe cracking a socket or at least the Chrome start to flake off or a ratchet mechanism not working anymore properly or slipping.
I understand we're talking about better quality tools but even the highest quality tools when they're used a whole lot can see Chrome flaking etc.

I do believe I use my tools more than the average person though so that's probably why I've seen more of this.
Of course I've even got some Craftsman sockets in certain sets that I've had for a long time and they are still as good as new because they haven't been used that much.

It just seems that the common sizes take more of a beating and you have to replace them from time to time not to mention those cars like to eat 10 mm sockets. Lol

B

Bob372

I'll never forget when I was tearing down a large shed on the property I had just bought, I found some really rusty, large open-end wrenches. I think one was 1-1/8" and the other a bit bigger.

After sitting on them for a few years, I decided to take them to the local Sears Hardware Store for replacement. They took them along with my phone number and I waited... and waited. I kept calling and kept getting the run-around. Then, suddenly, the store closed down.

I was young and stupid and should have gotten a receipt of some sort. It's a good thing I didn't really care.

G

Gord Baker

To make up for unknown quality of socket material.

D

Denali94

I guess for most of your tools that's okay but I don't see how you can go over 15 to 20 years with tools you use a whole lot without damaging one, maybe cracking a socket or at least the Chrome start to flake off or a ratchet mechanism not working anymore properly or slipping.
I understand we're talking about better quality tools but even the highest quality tools when they're used a whole lot can see Chrome flaking etc.

I do believe I use my tools more than the average person though so that's probably why I've seen more of this.
Of course I've even got some Craftsman sockets in certain sets that I've had for a long time and they are still as good as new because they haven't been used that much.

It just seems that the common sizes take more of a beating and you have to replace them from time to time not to mention those cars like to eat 10 mm sockets. Lol
Guess I do not know why a quality tool should not last a lifetime if it is used properly. I got my first set of 1/2' drive Craftsman sockets 60 years ago. They have been to countless SCCA and NHRA tracks, built and rebuilt hundreds of automotive engines & marine diesels; done endless maintenance, repair tasks on all my personal vehicles and spent the last 25 years on our farm being used on everything from a JD 318 garden tractor to one of our current 9R JD's; plus a few combines, wagons and other farm stuff. I have had two returns in all that time. One for a 10" 1/2" drive extension with that 'graceful slimline shaft' that twisted like a pretzel on a 440 ci Dodge main bearing cap (no cheater bar involved); the replacement in 1972 was an 'improved' model with a full diameter shaft. The other was a 1/4" drive ratchet handle that in 1984 simply gave up. Sears replaced the ratchet and since I was then in Alaska, the counter guy gave me an extra repair kit 'just in case'. That repair kit is still in its original box. I have never had a cracked Craftsman socket nor have my sockets flaked or lost any chrome. Then again, I know the difference between a hammer and a socket - and never have the two met. And with this post I have probably jinxed myself.

Back in the 80's, a neighborhood elderly lady /friend wanted her shed cleaned out. Said I would do it. In the corner was a 5 gallon bucket FULL of Craftsman wrenches & sockets, but leaky roof got that bucket pretty full of water, & over the years, was hard on the tools. But I pulled it out. She said I could keep anything I wanted. I cleaned up most all that I could still see the brand on, & took them to Sears. Without a blink, they said to spread them out on a table. & replaced about every single one.
Lady wanted to pay me, I told her her husband was smart about tools. I got about $300. worth of new tools FREE.
So no payment was needed from her. She was a nice lady, & ended up with super clean shed with roof patched.

T

TobyU

Guess I do not know why a quality tool should not last a lifetime if it is used properly. I got my first set of 1/2' drive Craftsman sockets 60 years ago. They have been to countless SCCA and NHRA tracks, built and rebuilt hundreds of automotive engines & marine diesels; done endless maintenance, repair tasks on all my personal vehicles and spent the last 25 years on our farm being used on everything from a JD 318 garden tractor to one of our current 9R JD's; plus a few combines, wagons and other farm stuff. I have had two returns in all that time. One for a 10" 1/2" drive extension with that 'graceful slimline shaft' that twisted like a pretzel on a 440 ci Dodge main bearing cap (no cheater bar involved); the replacement in 1972 was an 'improved' model with a full diameter shaft. The other was a 1/4" drive ratchet handle that in 1984 simply gave up. Sears replaced the ratchet and since I was then in Alaska, the counter guy gave me an extra repair kit 'just in case'. That repair kit is still in its original box. I have never had a cracked Craftsman socket nor have my sockets flaked or lost any chrome. Then again, I know the difference between a hammer and a socket - and never have the two met. And with this post I have probably jinxed myself.
I'm not saying it's an epidemic problem or that I've had dozens of them fail but I just don't see how you can keep it entire set if it was your main set you used frequently and not have a socket crack eventually or some plating come off around the tip from constantly putting it on and off of bolts etc.
I think it also probably matters what our definition of frequent use is.

I have some sockets in my set that may have never been on a fastener.
I have others that get used every time I open the drawer.
I used to use my tools like this at least two maybe three times a week for just personal use.
Since I opened a repair shop years ago, I use certain tools almost 7 days a week. Yes, there are weeks where I work on at least something every single day of the week.
Now since I specialize in certain types of mowers, the tools I do use are quite a small number and very limited so those particular sockets get a whole lot of use.

It is common knowledge in the aircraft maintenance world also that they checked their tools frequently if not all the time.
They also use high-end quality brand name tools.
If a piece of chroming etc starts to flake or it gets a sharp edge or anything else the tool is to be immediately discarded and replaced.

I'm not in this field and I don't know for certain but this is what I've been told by several people.
So it would see him even high quality tools can have a failure or an issue even if it's not super common.

Also, just normal use is going to eventually cause a socket to slip out of one's hand and fall often onto a cement floor or fall while using often glancing off of or hitting iron or steel when it hits.
This is not ideal for the tool and could start a possible flaking issue even though it's not negligence or abuse.

J

jagg2236

Look into WERA tools. I love their ratchets .

Thanks, I have too many ratchets now....

N

nbpt100

Look into WERA tools. I love their ratchets .
They make nice stuff. The problem is that there is too much nice stuff out there. Lots of options for very nice tools. They are just all very expensive. To me I am happy with what I call mid grade stuff. I look at the price, easy of warranty and quality factor. Which can be subjective. I do not break a lot of tools and I use mostly mid grade tools like Craftsman(old and new), Tekton, Kobalt, Husky, VIM,.....plus a few Snap on, SK and Cornwall. All of the high end stuff I either was gifted or bought at a yard sale used. I am happy enough with the quality and what they do. Right now I think Tekton has some of the best value as their warranty is truly no BS. They have upped their game over the past 10 years. If they keep up that trajectory they will be one of the more popular non tool-truck tools in the US for Mechanics.

Never heard of WERA tools.. I just saw they are a German made tool co. But never saw them in any stores.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Ratchet.jpg
Anybody remember that in the 70's JCPenny sold hand tools trying to compete with Sears? Got this for my 14th birthday. Still work fine

Nope I don't..

R

Rivets

I still have one of those and it has been relegated to the travel box. Works fine

1madmouse

I remember the Penncraft line and Penny's t-shirts were the best. Back then all the big stores had their own tools, they stood by their guaranties. Places like Western Auto even had Hot patches for tubes and tires that you would light on fire and make it a permanent patch. The old days

Places like Western Auto even had Hot patches for tubes and tires that you would light on fire and make it a permanent patch. The old days
Yep, I still have an old kit.

B

bertsmobile1

Yep, I still have an old kit.
And I still use them. because they work on mower tubes really well

1madmouse

Are they still available? I have looked but not found anywhere.

B

bertsmobile1

Got the last lot from India
One of the motorcycle parts retailers .

1madmouse

Thank you

Even Walmart & numerous others still carries many varieties of these hot patch tube repair kits.

1madmouse

I will definitely start looking harder.

They are out there...