Replacing broken Craftsman sockets

Ed in Virginia

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is thicker because it is made from a cheaper lower strength steel, not because it is better
Look at the premium snap ons and Sthalwilie spannars that are 1/2 the thickness because they are made from a much stronger steel .
Yes, I believe their metal is called "Chinesium" - not the same as good ole Murican steel.

Brucebotti

Threads
I've heard a rumor that Lowes will honor Craftsman tool lifetime warranties.
I was disappointed when I went to Lowes a few days ago to exchange an old ratchet that broke. The employee at the Courtesy desk said of course we will, as long as it’s the same model number. Obviously none of their model numbers even remotely matched.

twisted99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just went today to Ace Hdwre. to replace some broken Craftsman sockets.. Mine are old & were made in USA.
Replacement is from china.

But was surprised ie: 10mm 6 point deep-well from Craftsman / china was visibly thicker walled construction.. Surprised.
How did they replace them? I swapped out 2 ratchet handles at ACE about a year ago, and they just took the broken ones, and "rang up" the new ones at $0. Went lats week to replace a socket, and was told to scan this QR code and follow the prompt, when that didn't work, wrong QR, they gave me a number to call, that also wasn't working, they tried to call too, so they just rang it up at $0.

pollishpickle

Threads
I have some impact sockets that I broke using a heavy duty impact wrench

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have been using sockets on autos for many years and have never broken a socket; impact sockets are for specific applications like wheels with an impact wrench only.
That what I try to explain to new mechanics that you must use the tools correctly. When you do many can serve you a lifetime. Some however will wear out quicker than others especially the common used 12 pt sockets and wrenches. And of course we do lose a few here and there. About half of my tools are 40+ yrs old. Now I have been constantly new tools every since 2009 but those are ones that I never had before. Especially those that most sets skips over like a 22mm that I use a lot.

Now of there are the custom made ones that I guard rather closely. Sorta the one that machine got to make for me now. Expensive.
1709384919684.png
I have some impact sockets that I broke using a heavy duty impact wrench
Hmmm I never had a broken socket and I have been using these since the 70's.

nbpt100

Threads
The Craftsman warranty at Lowes and Ace all depends on who is working and also by location. Sometimes they will tell you to call the C'man 800 number and they do not want to be involved. Other times they swap it out with something similar on the shelf. It is not always consistent. One of my local Ace' stores said they will only honor the warranty if you bought it from them. Otherwise you have to deal with Craftsman directly. It is not like the old days when you could walk into any Sears and no questions asked, get a new tool. If they did not have the exact one they would give you something similar. Those days are over. Sears sold the Craftman brand to Stanley Black and Decker(SBD) about 6 or 7 years ago. There are only a handful of Sears or Kmart stores left. I have not stepped foot in one in about the same time. I am not sure how they would handle it. Even with a Kobalt or Husky warranty, it can be similar. I have read more accounts of HD being less friendly on warranty replacement. More and more stores want you to deal directly with the tool Brand. That can be a deterant as it takes time and perhaps money to mail the broken tool back. Again Craftsman warranty seems to be inconsistent based on my experince and many accounts I read on other message boards focused on tools. A lot of people who where Cman fans and are not happy with the cheapened quality as they sent most of their manufacturing over seas have swithch to Tekton. They have an excellent warranty process. Generaly you send them a picture of the broken tool and they mail out a new one. Most of their products are made in Tiawan. Most people today will agree Tiawan can make some excellent tools. I own some Tekton tools and see them as an excellent mid grade tool company. Not tool truck quality but priced generally in line with Cman or maybe a bit less in some cases. They have realy stepped up their game in the past 15 years.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a set of 1/2” “Industro” sockets, ratchet, break bar and 6” extension in its original metal box. 7/16” —- 1 1/16”. Passed down from my dad and have never broken a socket or needed the ratchet repaired. Has to over 70 years old and has taken more abuse than any tool should get. Nothing today is built as well as this set. Wish my son was a mechanic.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now Rivets you know this younger generation just wants it as easy as they can get by with. This why our industry and the farm industry is dying out due to lack of new qualified workers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well he has a job which pays him twice as much as I ever made, doesn’t have to get his hands dirty, in a field which is almost recession proof. He was brought up knowing how to work since 12 years old. Knows how to use tools, but I’m proud that he has outdone is dad and is better able to enjoy family and life.