Replacement Carburetor for a bolens 13an683g163.

Biggacejvg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm looking for some hep trying to find the correct part for replace the carburetor on my Bolens Riding lawnmower. It's turns overs, has spark, is getting plenty of air, but the damn thing just won't start. I have taken the carb that is on it apart and throughly cleaned it, however that hasn't helped either. The bowl will fill with fuel, but it seems to stop there. Attached are a few pictures of the carburetor. Thanks for any assitance. IMG_4873.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4874.jpg
    IMG_4874.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4875.jpg
    IMG_4875.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4876.jpg
    IMG_4876.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2

Romore

Threads
What are the numbers on the engine? We don't want family numbers, they are meaningless to us. Will it fire with a spritz of gas in the carb throat?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does the fuel solenoid click when you turn the key on and off. if it isn't working it won't start.

Biggacejvg

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are the numbers on the engine? We don't want family numbers, they are meaningless to us. Will it fire with a spritz of gas in the carb throat?

The placard on the plastic engine cover has two rows of numbers, the first is 31C7070154E1 & the second is 021104ZE01034. Is there number stamped on the engine block itself I should be able to find?

Does the fuel solenoid click when you turn the key on and off. if it isn't working it won't start.

I don't hear anything, it never occured to me that his model mower might have a fuel solenoid.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The thing holding the bowl on is the solenoid and should have a wire fitted to it.
The wire should show battery voltage when ever the key is turned on
If the plug has 2 wires then the other should be ground all the time.
The pin in the solenoid should retract when energised .
Because it is at the very bottom, the hole the pin runs in gets full of crud & gum so prevents the pin from moving .
So get some carb cleaner and clean the pin.
Push & pull it spray some more goo on it , push & pull some more.
Continue till the pit "pop" up when let go.
Or you can replace it, but they are frightfully expensive and I have never found one that would not clean up, eventually .

Conversely you can replace it with a bowl bolt.
This is ILLEGAL because you have tampered with & removed and anti pollution device but at least your grass will no longer be tall enough to provide habitat for lions & tigers.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The placard on the plastic engine cover has two rows of numbers, the first is 31C7070154E1 & the second is 021104ZE01034. Is there number stamped on the engine block itself I should be able to find?

I don't hear anything, it never occured to me that his model mower might have a fuel solenoid.
That solenoid on the bottom of the carb should have two wires going to it. One grey and goes to battery power when the key is turned on and a black wire with normally a connector on the end that connects to the sheet metal screw behind the carb.

Biggacejvg

Forum Newbie
Threads
The thing holding the bowl on is the solenoid and should have a wire fitted to it.
The wire should show battery voltage when ever the key is turned on
If the plug has 2 wires then the other should be ground all the time.
The pin in the solenoid should retract when energised .
Because it is at the very bottom, the hole the pin runs in gets full of crud & gum so prevents the pin from moving .
So get some carb cleaner and clean the pin.
Push & pull it spray some more goo on it , push & pull some more.
Continue till the pit "pop" up when let go.
Or you can replace it, but they are frightfully expensive and I have never found one that would not clean up, eventually .

Conversely you can replace it with a bowl bolt.
This is ILLEGAL because you have tampered with & removed and anti pollution device but at least your grass will no longer be tall enough to provide habitat for lions & tigers.

I also cleaned this part when cleaning the carb, and the pin will moved smoothly by hand, it won't however retract when the key is turned to the on position. Time to verify it's getting energized.

Is the fuel solenoid expensive, or is a replacement carb kit for this model engine expensive? The gasket for the bowl is pretty much worn out, so part of me would just like replace the carb assembly as a whole.

*Edit* Wow, replacement carbs are expensive to this thing.....

Last edited:

Romore

Threads
The OEM replacement is p/n 594593. They are not cheap but I don't have a lot of confidence in cheap aftermarket carbs.