Replacement Briggs engine

tkos115

Threads
I have a Briggs and Stratton engine on a log splitter that needs to be replaced. I got it for free but the engine is locked up due to the old owner running it without oil. Its on a Huskee 22 ton log splitter. Honestly it looks like a push mower engine but I wasn't sure if one would work. I did some research and have found some mixed answers. A lot of people say a push mower engine of the same style,output, and shaft diameter would work as long as the flywheel brake is modified along with a kill switch. Others have said that there is a difference with some engines using a "heavy flywheel" and others not. Would that really matter on a hydraulic pump setup? I have an old push mower with a similar HP rating but haven't checked shaft diameter yet. I believe the shaft diameter on the engine is 7/8 from what I could find looking it up.

Has anyone done this or know of a particular engine that would work better. I'd like the closest thing to a drop in engine but I can do some mods to a mower engine if it isn't going to involve changing a lot.

The engine on the splitter now is a Briggs 650 series 190cc engine. (124T02-0121-B1)

Thank you for your help!

Bertrrr

Threads
Can't imagine why it wouldn't work , the hydraulic system is set to only put out so much pressure then it will go into bypass , I've used log splitters before and if it does not go all the way through , I just re mount the log and keep at it go for it I say

kbowley

Threads
You are correct regarding the flywheel on a lawn mower engine. Most modern mowers use a light aluminum flywheel and rely on the blade as a flywheel. Most will not run without the blade attached. That said, engines of that size are inexpensive at places such as smallenginewarehouse.com or you could pick up a Predator engine cheaply and they seem to hold up well. Crankshafts are generally a standard size in length, but the diameter varies, either 7/8" or 3/4". Just measure yours and purchase accordingly. Alternately, you could use a 190cc mower engine, remove the blade brake, replace the flywheel with the one on yours, use your switch for the coil wire ground and be done. You can also call Briggs and they will get you a drop in for about 250-300 bucks.

Last edited: