Replaced steering pinion, still pops

Leftysdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replace the steering pinion gears with new set on my la115....got everything done...still pops when I turn wheel and dont turn front wheels....is there something in the actual "steering wheel" that can be bad....thanks in advance

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you replace the bushings on the steering shaft? Probably worn not allowing the steering gear anode sector gear to mesh properly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Plus the bushing and shoulder bolt on the sector gear. And maybe even the sector gear.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Also check spindles for wear by jacking up front end & grabbing tire with both hands & try moving back & forth top & bottom of tire, watch for sloppy play. Use jack stands & scotch rear wheels for SAFETY. Be sure to grease teeth on gears as well as front end & rest of tractor when completing job.

why are sector & pinion gears worn out in this video? running dry, metal against metal, is culprit. each service remove old grease from both gears with shop towels & cheap paint brush, apply new grease.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Good point about blocking the wheels but I disagree about greasing the pinion and sector gears teeth. Just attracts dirt and other foreign materials into the teeth leading to excessive wear and jamming.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good point about blocking the wheels but I disagree about greasing the pinion and sector gears teeth. Just attracts dirt and other foreign materials into the teeth leading to excessive wear and jamming.
You use white Lithium Chassis grease from a spray can and you use it liberally.
I go through a can for every 2 to 3 mowers, sprayed onto every place where two pieces of metal rub.
The only trick is to leave it for a few minutes for the propellant to evaporate