Replace GCV160 with Predator Engine

Chris Parman

Threads
I finally managed to get the flywheel off. I split the case and the internals look good and clean. I just need to find that youtube video of the vocational school teacher (in parts) showing how remove the crank shaft without removing the piston. Also, buy parts (Crank shaft, thrush washer) and anything else.

20200111_180104.jpg 20200111_180016.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Your gasket surface is a lot better than one I took apart, it looked like they let a 2 year old loose with a tube of RTV. Is was dried on the case walls inside and out, just really sloppy.
be sure to get both surfaces shiny clean and reapply a sealant, Permatex ultra black is good.

Chris Parman

Threads
What's weird is the governor rod arm came out of the plastic gear in the oil sump, not entirely sure how to put it back in the correct place with respect to the plastic gear. There is nothing broken in the sump, nor any foreign debris in the bottom of the oil sump. Both the top half and the oil sump is very clean.

Chris Parman

Threads
I'm about 80% complete with my first GCV160 rebuild (replacing a bent crank shaft), just waiting on on two parts (flywheel bolt and PTO drive pulley). Then I will be able to test my skills. I found torque specs for the GCV160 and utilize proper nut & bolt specs throughout the rebuild. Hopefully the engine will start on the first or second pull.

20200119_144444.jpg 20200119_144621.jpg

Last edited:

mikebarber

Threads
The Honda GCV series in my opinion is hardly worth investing in the price of a new spark plug I have one on one of my log splitters and it threw a timing belt that is wet and runs in the crankcase oil the camshaft is "plastic" and only has 1 lobe on it to run both the intake and exhaust valve through stamped rocker arms valve cover gasket comes in a tube as does the gasket for the split crankcase halves Best of luck with your repair I am waiting for mine to fail again and I will find an older Honda to repair and replace with before I ever put another nickel in my GCV Best of luck to ya just thought I would pass along the experience with mine before too much money gets invested in to a motor designed for about 100-150 hrs of use

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was looking this engine over and noticed the OHC design, unusual in a utility type motor. Wondered if it's 'better' or just somehow just cheaper. Now I know. Strange to see a Honda product go to the dark side. But then they're using belt drives in their SUVs these days.

Chris Parman

Threads
The Predator 173cc vertical engine is a Honda Clone. I do not know the name of the manufacture, I will only assume that the Predator 173cc vertical engine is not on par with Honda GXV series engines in terms of quality.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Harbor Freight Predator engines are made by Lifan in China. As far as I can tell the are an exact copy of Honda GX engines. The parts will interchange on Honda engines.

Chris Parman

Threads
Hammermechanic man, interesting. Thank you for the insight.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have a couple of their horiz. Predator engines, seem well built, run fine so far. Amazing for $100 complete ready to run.