Replace engine or purchase a new ride on mower

Mower King

Threads
One more thing, and I am certain that it has been asked on the forum a thousand times, but at what interval would you change the motor oil, and what would you use. I lean towards full synthetic, but would appreciate some comments.

Thanks.

Caruso
I would use B&S 30 with a B&S engine and we tell everyone that buys a new mower from us,change engine oil & filter every 50 hrs or once a season, whichever comes first!....and check your eng oil before each use, it's real simple to just, pull the dipstick and check. You don't want to lose another rod!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today's motor oil is formulated for use in newer designed automobile engines, quite a bit different that what an air cooled lawn mower engine would use. For no more that the mower uses and how often it's changed I'd use the engine maker's oil in the weight required. There are some synthetics - from them - but I'm not a big fan of those for air cooled engines.

carusoswi

Threads
MowerKing and Tom3, thanks for the advice on engine oil. I have no problem buying B&S oil from the shop that fixed my mower. I assume that, since you didn't mention it, there is no need for an early oil change on this engine (as in break-in oil change). If you disagree, please advise. At the moment, I am very pleased with this unit (and I continue to advise the growing number of physicians I need to see these days that I expect them to keep "this" machine running like my Yardman for the next 40 years - don't you dare laugh!).

Happy mowing.

Caruso

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not laughing here. Every time I get a checkup I have to eliminate something from my diet seems like. Carbs, salt, sugar, latest was major cut in milk drinking. Probably wind up raking the lawn after mowing and having it for dinner.

AaronZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use the manual's recommendations as the max amount of time before I change the oil. I check the oil each time I start the engine. When the oil gets real dirty I change it even if it is way before the recommended time. There have been times I changed the oil 3 times before the recommended time. As far as using synthetic, again, it all depends on what the manual says. I've been using 10w-30 for as long as I can remember and have never had an engine blow up or die. Maybe its because I change the oil when it needs it.:))

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use the manual's recommendations as the max amount of time before I change the oil. I check the oil each time I start the engine. When the oil gets real dirty I change it even if it is way before the recommended time. There have been times I changed the oil 3 times before the recommended time. As far as using synthetic, again, it all depends on what the manual says. I've been using 10w-30 for as long as I can remember and have never had an engine blow up or die. Maybe its because I change the oil when it needs it.:))

As a rider of vintage , veteran & classic motorcycles, it is something I say almost daily.
What oil you put in is no where near as important as the stuff you just took out and the frequency of doing it .
Mower oils should be changed annually , at the end of the season after the last mow.
You seem to understand this quite well & have been justly rewarded.
People are rather strange beings and always looking for the magical silver bullet even when they have the know reliable musket in their hands

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the engine doesn't have an oil filter, I'd change the oil after the first five hours, then annually if no more than 50 hours are are put on the mower per season.

If you don't have an hour meter, you'll have to estimate how many hours you're using the mower per season.

carusoswi

Threads
Update on my experience:

New engine runs fine, new belts have eliminated the tranny slippage. I used this setup to pick up my leaves last fall (we have many trees and many fall leaves to pick-up), and, so far, have cut my lawn this spring without incident. I know my rig is no Toro, but it is doing the job for me. Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

Caruso