Replace engine or purchase a new ride on mower

Mower King

Threads
I'd have gone with a new engine, too. I would have also tried to replace the connecting rod on the old engine. As a matter of fact, that's what I actually did this year ('94 MTD; 12.5HP single cylinder engine). First time I ever opened an engine and took a look. I could not detect any damage to the cylinder with a fingernail; it looked great. I opened 'er up cleaned it out really good and replaced the connecting rod. I did note there was A LOT of scoring on the cam shaft where the connecting rod rode, but whatever. I mowed my 1-1/2 acre yard and was a couple minutes from finishing when there was a clunk, the engine died, and smoke came out from under the ring gear. I figured that one cracked the case, too, so I replaced the engine with a 16HP B&S Vanguard V-Twin. The seller couldn't get the shaft bolt out, but my impact gun could. Unfortunately, it still didn't come off the shaft. That only made it a little bit more 'interesting' to get everything hooked back up. I just had to figure out which set of mounting holes to use. Runs better than before and is quieter, too.

In the end, I think you saved yourself some money and will be happy with the outcome.
I have never seen a cam shaft scored from where the connecting rod rode!

CDelSignore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have never seen a cam shaft scored from where the connecting rod rode!
If I decide to tear it apart, I'll get a pic. That was the only place there was any scoring, and it was pretty bad. I don't know if it had anything to do with the second rod failure or not, but it's possible.

Mower King

Threads
If I decide to tear it apart, I'll get a pic. That was the only place there was any scoring, and it was pretty bad. I don't know if it had anything to do with the second rod failure or not, but it's possible.
The connecting rod can score the crankshaft, not the camshaft!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now we're getting the picture..

carusoswi

Threads
FWIW, I managed to find the users manual for my mower. The model is #13607-7, and the HP is shown as 12 HP (could swear that my engine says 12.5 HP, but do not have the unit at this time to verify).
Some interesting information about adjusting the height of the deck wheels, and the mower was manufactured in 1987, anything to the contrary I may have posted not withstanding.

Hoping to have her back today. Shop is overdue, but given the times in which we live, I find that acceptable.

There is a plastic nameplate that mounts onto each side of the hood via two "posts" that snap through holes in the hood. I'm missing the left-hand nameplate which fell off years ago (I probably have it squirrled away someplace "safe", which is why I went digging for the owner's manual. If anyone has a clue on where to find that little part, I would appreciate a heads up. The part is not even mentioned in the manual, and the hood comes up as not available on most websites. Not a big deal, I may just remove the right hand name plate so that she is "balanced."

Thanks for all the replies.

Caruso

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Auto parts stores have what is called "emblem tape" that is made by 3M I think. Really good stuff, dark brown to black and had a red pull off plastic strip. That would put that nameplate back on forever. One thing to watch on the motor swap is the battery voltage while running with the blade on. Charging systems vary quite a bit and if your mower has an electric blade clutch it takes a better unit.

carusoswi

Threads
Auto parts stores have what is called "emblem tape" that is made by 3M I think. Really good stuff, dark brown to black and had a red pull off plastic strip. That would put that nameplate back on forever. One thing to watch on the motor swap is the battery voltage while running with the blade on. Charging systems vary quite a bit and if your mower has an electric blade clutch it takes a better unit.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I cannot find the missing nameplate, so, either need to locate another, or remove the remaining. I feel confident I could get a couple of decals if needed.

Caruso

carusoswi

Threads
Happy to report that I picked up the mower yesterday morning, brought it home and proceeded to cut my lawn. Still cuts like a champ although yours truly is a little rusty after ten some years. I missed a couple of spots on the lawn, and I was very shy around trees and uneven terrain. I'll get better, LOL.

The engine they installed is 11.5HP, not 12, but I don't really care. The machine has plenty of power. I am so glad to have her back. This unit was manufactured in 1987, so that makes her 33 years old!! Given the new engine and new belts, she is running like new. If I am careful not to screech the engine to a halt, I should have no further issues with braking the connecting rod. That was my fault, and I knew I had screwed up as soon as it happened. Looking forward to spending the next 33 years with her (don't you dare laugh!!).

Caruso

Last edited:

carusoswi

Threads
One more thing, and I am certain that it has been asked on the forum a thousand times, but at what interval would you change the motor oil, and what would you use. I lean towards full synthetic, but would appreciate some comments.

Thanks.

Caruso