Repair plastic shield? JB Plastic weld?

Beamster

Threads
I would contact JB for recommendations. I think they advised me to use Plastic Bonder (not Weld) for a particular project.
On a side note, I can't count the times that I have spent more on dreaming up repairs for things than if I just bought a replacement. The latest is replaving cracked circular glass on a compression tester gage. The square of glass is cheap but tools to make the straight and circular glass cuts were more than buying a used tester just for the glass.

longhike

Threads
I can't count the times that I have spent more on dreaming up repairs for things than if I just bought a replacement.
:) Money is just paper, value is often found elsewhere.

nacl9163

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, there are multiple varieties of "plastic" epoxy. Get one specifically listing your type of plastic (likely HDPE). I've had success drilling a couple of holes on either side of the crack and threading & twisting a piece of copper wire to hold the crack closed. I epoxied the wire down to the plastic too, so it wouldn't catch stuff. (Guess this is just a variation on the metal strap/pop rivet idea.) Second, make sure the plastic is REALLY clean, and rough it up before epoxying.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you need plastic filler rod, I use black outdoor UV rated zip ties. Think they are HDPE, tough little guys.

slomo
Actually most are just PVC
Use the wrong plastic and you will ned up with a mess that is near impossible to correct other than a patch plate & rivets.
Lots of suppliers of plastic welding rods now days .
And apart from the JD green, most are a reasonable price.
Some where on the shield will be the recycle mark
Simply match the numbers between the guard & the filler material.

longhike

Threads
Looks like this edger shield is HDPE, a couple other projects have got in the way though. I have yet to tackle this one.

I just ordered a couple gator blades for the other edger to see if that helps my decision of whether to invest in this one.