Recommended blade bolt pressure

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
I'm very happy with mulching blades thus far,I'm using Oregon G5 for my 54" RSD....I'm sure the regulars will have an opinion or two about what they think is best.

gabowman

Threads
I dont have an air compressor with all the air tools so I used my 20v. impact Dewalt drill to remove the blades. Before putting the blades back on I added some anti-seige to the bolts so they wont be hard to remove next time. I used the impact drill to re-install the blades. Been cutting grass since re-installing blades and no problems since first of spring.

pfunk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm very happy with mulching blades thus far,I'm using Oregon G5 for my 54" RSD....I'm sure the regulars will have an opinion or two about what they think is best.

I recently purchased a 60" RSD and the dealer I bought from threw in the mulching kit for free. The dealer told me to be prepared to mow my grass twice a week during the summer months with the mulching kit. I have an Ingersoll-Rand 1/2 in. impact wrench that I used to remove the bolts from the spindles holding on the blade. It delivers up-to 780 foot lbs of torque so I did not want to use that to tighten down the spindle bolts to re-attach the mower blades. I used a torque wrench and tightened bolts into spindle to 118 foot pounds as recommended in my manual.

I've been using the mulch kit for 2 months to mow about an acre of healthy fescue. The problem I'm having is that the grass is not mulching completely with a single pass and is leaving a line of clippings along the right-side and left-side of the deck. I have verified that the deck is level following steps outlined in manual. I have tried going slow (~2 MPH), going fast (~6 MPH), ensuring blades are sharp but still experience the same problem. I have the deck set to cut the grass at 3.5". There have been a couple of times where I had to wait five days between mowing and I had to set the deck to 4" and then lower it down to 3.5" a couple of days later. I have measured the grass a couple of times and am not cutting more than 1/3 of the grass blade when mowing. The only way I have been able to minimize the trail of grass clippings is to mow every 2 - 3 days and mow the grass twice in opposite directions. I usually mow in the late afternoon, early evening when there is no visible dew on the grass and the grass is dry to the touch.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I talked to the dealer and have ordered a set of gator G6 blades. They should arrive next week. Hopefully that works. If not, I may be taking off the mulching kit and going back to using side discharge.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I doubt anyone would win a contest using an air impact wrench and estimating the torque of the tightened fastener. Human judgement is an awesome thing , but not always sufficient. If you think you can put proper torque on a fastener with a free running impact wrench, talk to the tire shop guys about overtorqued wheels, ruined brake discs, hourglass shaped studs and road side emergency flat changouts from going ape sxxx with an impact wrench. The good tire shops use torque wrenches. Applying lubricants is fine, but make allowaces for the torque. I know I know...some professionals don't have time for that stuff.

Last edited:

katit

Threads
Professionals use torque sticks on impact wrench.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Katik, Please tell us more about the torque sticks.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Katik, Please tell us more about the torque sticks.

A torque stick is like a extension you put on the impact.
When it gets to the torque it is made for it will flex.
You can get them for just about any torque.

Not as good as a torque wrench but close enough for tires and blades.

clay45

Threads
I just use a Harbor Freight 1/2" drive torque wrench set to 50# and pull till she slips. So far so good.