Recommendations Please for a POWERFUL walk behind??

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
image-263325454.jpg

This will do what you want

Model.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

sparks325

Threads
Thanks for all of your replies. Great folks here!
it is a funny thing. Jimrs you were reading my mind. Surplus Center has a 20hp Kohler:eek: vertical shaft that I was eyeing yesterday. I do some machining as a hobby (have lathe, tig welder, mill etc.)
I was going to check the hop up section of this forum to see if anyone has "upgraded" their mower with a bigger power plant. Some may think that it is overkill, but that's how I roll. Of course, the gas tank will need to be relocated (need a larger one) and I'll have to find a place for a battery. I could always just plug into a battery for starting and forgo the onboard power supply.:frown: The engine is equipped with an alternator. That would come in handy if my wife wanted to mow into dusk....headlights:cool:

sparks325

Threads
carcsw the make and model didn't post. what was that a picture of?

txzrider

Threads
does this future frankenmower have self propelled wheels? putting a 20hp enging on a 21 " deck will raise the weigh of the mower considerably!! not to mention adding the weight of a small battery. I doubt your wife will want to push it for long.

sparks325

Threads
Yes, you are correct. I've read some of the posts in the build your own mower section of this forum.
I have reconsidered the size based on just what you are saying. A couple of HP up from stock will still keep things manageable. i had hoped for better financial conditions but when i checked the accounts, a new mower (of considerable quality) just isn't in the cards right now.:redface: So, i figured with the tools and skill that I have an engine change is manageable.

sparks325

Threads
  • / Recommendations Please for a POWERFUL walk behind??
Hi All,
Just wanted to give an update on my search for mowing happiness. Well, a couple of weeks ago I did bring home an Exmark 21.
Powerful, You Bet! A real MAN痴 mower. Built like a tank. That Kawasaki engine is something else. And if you wanted to, you could run behind the mower.
The Mrs. wasn稚 pleased:mad: and liked the more 田omfortable feel of the Toro Recycler with electric start. The moral of the story, if your wife is going to use the mower, take her with you when you buy it. The store on the far west side of Cleveland would even let you start and try the mower. Once she 鍍est drove the Toro it was a done deal. All is well?..

LeonardVinson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,
Just wanted to give an update on my search for mowing happiness. Well, a couple of weeks ago I did bring home an Exmark 21.
Powerful, You Bet! A real MAN痴 mower. Built like a tank. That Kawasaki engine is something else. And if you wanted to, you could run behind the mower.
The Mrs. wasn稚 pleased:mad: and liked the more 田omfortable feel of the Toro Recycler with electric start. The moral of the story, if your wife is going to use the mower, take her with you when you buy it. The store on the far west side of Cleveland would even let you start and try the mower. Once she 鍍est drove the Toro it was a done deal. All is well?..

I don't think you could have done any better, congrats!

Is it the 21 X or S; does it say "Kai" on the Kawasaki FJ180v engine decal?

sparks325

Threads
Hi and thanks for the kind words. You know when she's happy?..well. I was just glad to get that resolved.
I believe it was an X but it didn't have the blade clutch. It is funny the specifications say 6.6 MPH but I could easily have done 8MPH:biggrin:! I'm a runner and I almost needed to change shoes. The engine was a Kawasaki FJ180v. Lot of compression. The better half couldn't turn it over. It takes a good arm, but man when it's going.....I was very impressed. It is a 21 incher that kicks _ _ _.:cool2:

canuck88

Threads
Hi and thanks for the kind words. You know when she's happy?..well. I was just glad to get that resolved.
I believe it was an X but it didn't have the blade clutch. It is funny the specifications say 6.6 MPH but I could easily have done 8MPH:biggrin:! I'm a runner and I almost needed to change shoes. The engine was a Kawasaki FJ180v. Lot of compression. The better half couldn't turn it over. It takes a good arm, but man when it's going.....I was very impressed. It is a 21 incher that kicks _ _ _.:cool2:

I'm in the process of comparing the eXmark 21 with the KAI engine, as well as the Toro 22156 (a commercial version of the super recycler, more or less).... my wife never cuts the grass, so if it was up to you which would you have chosen? I like the idea of the beefiness of the x-series, but also like the light weight of the Toro...

sparks325

Threads
Hi Canuck88,
Well, it sounds like you may already answered your own question. If you like the light weight of the Toro you will not like the tank like feel of the Exmark.
I had fun and was extremely impressed with it for the 25 minutes it took to finish the yard after my wife had enough wrestling it around.
I知 of a lighter frame and work indoors as an avionics technician. Depending on your physical condition, amount of space you need to cover and cash you have to spend, your answer is in there somewhere. If you are fortunate as I was, try to find a shop that will let you try before you buy, or at least one that carries both models. If you find the Exmark a little too much mower at least you can exchange and although you will get a refund , the shop doesn稚 lose the sale.
Hope that helps.
Brian