Recommendations on electric line trimmer

hikerpat

Member
Recently, I had to throw out a very old Sears line trimmer, that lasted for over 20 years (and it was given to me used) - the spool and cap came apart and Super Glue would not hold:mad: And, I had to pay a neighbors' yard service to trim - it went over a year without trimming!
So, I'm in the market for another electric with great ratings. I don't mind winding a spool, in fact, I prefer it to paying for pre-wound. I want to use .080 line.
I would much rather buy another 100' extension cord than try to learn how to operate/start a gas-powered model.
Any suggestions for this older female?
Thank you.
 
Just get one of the many new battery models, they hold a charge for a real long time these days, and are quite impressive.
 
The lithium battery cordless available nowadays are quite good. I don't know that I've seen one that swings .080 line - there may be some. I'd recommend you avoid any NiCd, if still on the shelf.

As for brands, maybe cruise through Amazon to read the reviews. I have no major complaints about my Greenworks. It doesn't have the ergonomic feel of my old B&D but I'm accustomed to it now. I think Lowes (Kobalt) has a new line of 40V lithium tools.
 
MowerMike -

I ordered the Greenworks 21142, from Sears mail-order. There was a deal w/o S&H, but I still will have to pay the very high sales tax in TN. It should arrive at my front door in less than a week. And, it has a 3-year warranty.

The Black & Decker, recommended by BlazNT, seemed to not be well rated by everyone. Some had it fail right out of the box.

Thanks, to everyone, for their help.
 
Not discounting your purchase because after I read about the Greenworks I would have purchased it to. Make sure you power cord is rated to pull that much power. It needs to be a big fat one. Most of the reviews I read could have been because of the same thing I am telling you about. When people go to the store and buy the cheep 100' cord and expect it to run large amounts of power, it will burn up an electric motor fast. I used to build houses and still have some of those heavy extension cords. I can run almost anything on them.
 
BlazNT -

I checked the extension cord that I use. It is 100' and 300 v. I've been using it with a 7.5amp blower, and a 300 v. 10' extension cord.
Is this a proper rating for the Greenworks trimmer? It is rated at 10 amps. What other numbers/characters should I be looking for on the extension cord?
Thank you.
 
Back
Top