Recommendations on electric line trimmer

MowerMike

Threads
BlazNT -

I checked the extension cord that I use. It is 100' and 300 v. I've been using it with a 7.5amp blower, and a 300 v. 10' extension cord.
Is this a proper rating for the Greenworks trimmer? It is rated at 10 amps. What other numbers/characters should I be looking for on the extension cord?
Thank you.

Power cords are rated based on amps, not volts. You need at least a 14 gage medium duty 100' cord to handle a 10 amp motor. Look for 14AWG stamped on the cord. The longer the cord, the larger the wire gage that you will need.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It will also look like 14/3 or 12/3. Most cheep ones are 16/3. the way to check if you cant find it on the cord is to plug weedeater in with short cord only and run it full blast. Listen closely to how it sounds and how fast it is going. Plug in the 100' cord by its self and check again. If it does not run as fast or sound as powerful. Go get a new cord. Do not use the 100' cord for very long if things don't sound right. It will burn it up quickly.

hikerpat

Threads
Power cords are rated based on amps, not volts. You need at least a 14 gage medium duty 100' cord to handle a 10 amp motor. Look for 14AWG stamped on the cord. The longer the cord, the larger the wire gage that you will need.

I suspect I may have the wrong gauge. Here are the numbers: c(UL) SJTW 3x1.31mm [squared] (16AWG) FT2.
I'm trying to remember - the lower the number, the thicker the wire?
From what I can recall, when shopping for the current cord, the really thick ones did not come in 100' and were extremely expensive.
You guys have been really helpful. Thanks.

MowerMike

Threads
Yes, lower AWG number means thicker wire with greater current (amps) capacity, and your 16AWG 100' cord is too small for your new 10 amp trimmer. It is easy to find 100' 14AWG power cords, but they are a bit pricey like you said. Go to a local Home Depot store and look for their Husky house brand, which is less expensive than other name brands. You want a 14/3 indoor/outdoor medium duty cord.

hikerpat

Threads
Yes, lower AWG number means thicker wire with greater current (amps) capacity, and your 16AWG 100' cord is too small for your new 10 amp trimmer. It is easy to find 100' 14AWG power cords, but they are a bit pricey like you said. Go to a local Home Depot store and look for their Husky house brand, which is less expensive than other name brands. You want a 14/3 indoor/outdoor medium duty cord.

I am watching an item on Ebay - a 14 gauge, 100' cord, for around $30, plus $14** S&H. I am waiting for the listing person to give me the weight on the cord. I'm not a tall/heavy person, and I don't want to have to try to lug around 30# of cord.

One more question: Since I have a 10' 16 gauge, that is really necessary to reach what needs to be trimmed - can that piece be used at all with the 14 gauge?

I'll keep you posted. Thank you, MowerMike!

MowerMike

Threads
One more question: Since I have a 10' 16 gauge, that is really necessary to reach what needs to be trimmed - can that piece be used at all with the 14 gauge?

Yes, you should be able to safely add the 10' section of 16AWG cord to the 100' 14AWG cord.

MowerMike

Threads
I am watching an item on Ebay - a 14 gauge, 100' cord, for around $30, plus $14** S&H. I am waiting for the listing person to give me the weight on the cord. I'm not a tall/heavy person, and I don't want to have to try to lug around 30# of cord.

If it's anything like my 100' 14AWG cord, it will weigh less than 10#.

Also, you can get the same cord at your local Home Depot for $39.97 + tax, which is about the same amount you will pay to buy it on ebay.

hikerpat

Threads
Yes, you should be able to safely add the 10' section of 16AWG cord to the 100' 14AWG cord.

Should I put the 10' 16 gauge on the trimmer, or in the wall receptacle? Or, does it even matter? I asked b/c I ran into this problem a few years ago, when I was mowing for friends and had been using their trimmer and extension cord. One particular day, their extension cord had gone missing and I used mine and burned up their trimmer.
Thank you.

MowerMike

Threads
Should I put the 10' 16 gauge on the trimmer, or in the wall receptacle? Or, does it even matter? I asked b/c I ran into this problem a few years ago, when I was mowing for friends and had been using their trimmer and extension cord. One particular day, their extension cord had gone missing and I used mine and burned up their trimmer.

No, it doesn't matter electrically at which end you use the short 10' 16AWG cord, however, it may be more convenient to use it at the trimmer end since it is lighter and more flexible.