Raptor SD 54 inch drive belt keeps coming off

The Chairman

Threads
They want $58 for that bracket. Geez, Louise! Does anyone have a measurement, bolt to bolt? If not, I'm going to pop both trannies at the same time and measure between the top... I can even make it adjustable. It's a tension member, so 3/8" threaded rod between the two will do the same. I'll check for any cracks while I'm in there.

clubairth

Threads
You must know somebody because I see it around $100-90. Part #123292.
Is your machine under warranty?
I don't think it was a recall but a bunch of us got it done by asking the dealer to warranty the repair. Mine did it without even asking when I brought it in for the plastic fender replacement.

The smaller upper brace is called a "Clutch Cover" #120838 but it's cheap at about $13.
Yes I am sure you could make one too but for $13 I just put it on and went back to mowing.

I have 180 hours on my SD 54 without any further problems.

The Chairman

Threads
Two things... I'm only seeing one brace in there that I don't have. Maybe I'm describing it to my dealer wrong.

Second thing... Man I feel like a dufus. I am in great pain for the past two weeks with sciatica. Before that, I had broken my leg and have been healing from that. I don't know if one caused the other, but I hate not being able to do things. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that it's painful to get up and down or crawl around when I'm down there. Today I am doing somewhat better, and I still have 8 acres to mow (last mow???), so I jacked that baby up and started measuring. Inner side of the pulleys, front side, back side and WTF??? Holy crap, there were two bolts missing (vertical) on the front with that bracket. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. I scratched through every measurement since they are bogus without all the bolts in. So today, I replaced every POS bolt of their's with grade 8. I did the measurements for the bracket picked up the steel when I picked up the bolts. With ALL the bolts installed, camber is 0 and all the pulleys align. I took it out to mow and she's doing great, with great power. I'll make the bracket tomorrow and put it on, but I think I resolved my issue. I'll be sure to post the measurement for the bracket and post a pic. I'll probably go ahead an rebuild the blade spindles (at least one is noisy) and sharpen the blades and then get back at it. I may have felt like a Dufus, but seeing those missing bolts was a huge, huge, huge relief.

clubairth

Threads
Your problem is not the bolts. Those are a symptom of the hydro's moving around because of inadequate bracing.
With the 2 braces installed the factory bolts are just fine. I am running all the original bolts because I caught the problem early.
I never even had to tighten them nor put lock-tite on them.

Brace 1 is the big black one on the bottom. I think this one is mandatory.
Brace 2 is the thin yellow one up higher and facing towards the back of the machine.
I guess Hustler does not consider it a brace since they call it a clutch cover but you can see that is does add additional bracing.

The Chairman

Threads
Your problem is not the bolts. Those are a symptom of the hydro's moving around because of inadequate bracing.
With the 2 braces installed the factory bolts are just fine. I am running all the original bolts because I caught the problem early.
I never even had to tighten them nor put lock-tite on them.

Brace 1 is the big black one on the bottom. I think this one is mandatory.
Brace 2 is the thin yellow one up higher and facing towards the back of the machine.
I guess Hustler does not consider it a brace since they call it a clutch cover but you can see that is does add additional bracing.
Pictures would make this easier. Pictures with arrows pointing out each brace.

Bolts snapping seem to be my problem. I was having great success with the kevlar belt and tightening the pivot bolt until one bolt broke. Four and a half hours on the mower yesterday and no belt pop offs was great. No hesitation, no lag, just great amounts of power when I push on the steering bars. Again, I plan to fabricate a brace between the bottom back bolts of the hydrostats. The mowing yesterday really aggravated my sciatica, so it will have to wait.

clubairth

Threads
Sorry my picture was not labeled.
See if this makes more sense?

Hydro Cross Braces-Labeled.jpg

The Chairman

Threads

attachment.php

THAT

WAS

AWESOME!!!​

I am missing the "Clutch Cover". I mowed for five hours today and got 85% of my lawn done. The belt stayed on. I do hear one of the front wheel bearings singing and at least one of the blade spindles is howling.I'm going to finish mowing tomorrow and then start on the other issues, including fabricating the "Clutch Cover". I probably have one or two more mows for this year. Maybe more.

The Chairman

Threads

attachment.php

Where are my manners? Thank you! Again, that really, really helped. I had no idea that the bracket everyone was talking about was on the front of the transaxles.

vanhanz

Threads
I just got the SD60 on clearance from Lowes, jumped on this forum and saw this thread. I don't have these braces, was anyone here able to get them installed under warranty from a local shop even though you bought it from Lowes?

mhavanti

Threads
I just got the SD60 on clearance from Lowes, jumped on this forum and saw this thread. I don't have these braces, was anyone here able to get them installed under warranty from a local shop even though you bought it from Lowes?

We have factory reps in the Hustler Mower Owners Group in Facebook that can give you direct replies as well as help you get warranty service in the event your dealership is not taking care of your properly.

Here is the link to the Hustler Mower Owners Group in Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HustlerMowerOwners/