Raking Leaves

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey bret... go ahead and mow them , it will break down and compost in place... no extra raking necessary. This winters snow will slowly break the leaf crumbles up...

russ I have to agree... I spent this lazy afternoon rebuilding the spindles and replacing bearings in my 84" rear finish mower... I did use an impact tool and my 30 ton press but that's only because I'm lazy:mad:...

Sure hope all this socializing doesn't scare off any of the 'good folks' on this forum:biggrin:
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My goodness did I miss something? What just happened? I only asked a simple question. I may just run the mower over them and see what that does. I want to compost them but I don't want to spend the fall raking and raking.

You didn't miss NOTHING....what a grump Michael must be...I too am disappointed sometimes at the lack of responses or the inane replies posted here, but do I get in a huff about it...??? JEEZ, NO !!!!

I believe it was the author Robert A. Heinlein who was quoted as saying: "I have never learned anything from a man who always agreed with me".

About composting....The majority of my push mowers have always been rear bagging, I chop up the leaves and spread them on my garden plot. I have a very bad neck and raking for long periods is very painful...mulching leaves is very time consuming but easier than raking. If I have a big pile of leaves, I block off the discharge chute on my tractor mower deck with a home made aluminum plate then run it over the pile a few times.

Bessy

Threads
This makes my fall raking so much easier, thanks folks. I was not looking forward to raking and bagging and dragging them out to the road for pick up, this makes so much more sense and better for the environment.

Ross

Threads
I agree with Thunder. And if you have kids, get them out there. Fun for the whole family. But you don't want to wait 'till the last minute.

Attachments

• leaf cleanup 1.jpg
    leaf cleanup 1.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 38
  • lawn stripes 2.jpg
    lawn stripes 2.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 111
  • during 1.jpg
    during 1.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 29
  • after 2.jpg
    after 2.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1928.jpg
    DSCN1928.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 14

bret

Threads
We went to Lowe's on the weekend and the kids each got their own rake and was raking the leaves into some piles and jumping into them, we also started to build a pumpkin man for the front bench and we stuffed him with leaves as well.