Raking Leaves

bret

Threads
When do you start raking leaves for the fall? I think I want to compost them this year but I need to rake them into a neat pile because it makes my lawn look horrible with all the fallen leaves everywhere.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why rake hem?
Just mow them, into little pieces, where they fall... If they are in your flowers or gardens rake those onto your lawn and mow... mow ... MOW... :smile:KennyV

Threads
Yes, I agree on mowing the leaves, I mow my yard throwing the discharge so as to keep re-chopping the debris, after you've finished, you can gather the the clippings for composting if you'd like.

Last edited:

Thunder

Threads
Start when they start falling. However you do it, raking, mowing, it will be easier if you don't have a real thick bed to deal with.

cren

Threads
I have raked and gathered them up to break down into mulch areas. We still love to sometimes rake up and play in them (kids in the family and all plus they get some fun out of it along with exercise).

173abn

Threads
bret,I have way too many trees that drop way too many leaves,as Kenny and others do I mow and leave it at that. russ

Michael

Threads
I have only been on this site a short time, & I do need to ask a question, IS EVERYBODY LAZY on this site, if so, Why do I come here!!!!!!!!!!!!
To answer the posters QUESTION, because he ASKED, bret, there are many ways to collect & compost leaves, You can start racking as they fall, put them off to 1 side out of the wind, Now here is what I do, and this may not be for everyone, but I am not lazy nor stupid, I put them in a large, Very large container, I fire up the weed wacker, & stick it in the container,, I can reduce a 55 gal, drum full in about 2 to 3 minutes and there will be 3 inches at the bottom, it's fun, GOOD EXCERCISE, & I put them in my compost pile, If you have children, it's a great way to spend some simple time together.
This will be my last visit or post to this site, I find it uninformitive, & it is more a socail network than a help fourm. If you need any small engine repair advice, find me on SELF HELP.
Thankyou & Goodbye, Michael:smile:

173abn

Threads
Hey MICHAEL,See you later!I got your lazy ,GUY! russ

Zeroturn

Threads
I find raking leaves to be the BIGGEST pain there is when doing outdoor work. I still get out there and do it though. Usually I get the kids to help. We rake them into big piles and then we jump in them. We also stuff those plastic pumpkin bags full of leaves.
When we are all done with these activities I let my hubby mow them down. They are super small by then. He then picks them up with the lawn sweeper.

bret

Threads
My goodness did I miss something? What just happened? I only asked a simple question. I may just run the mower over them and see what that does. I want to compost them but I don't want to spend the fall raking and raking.