R316Ts AWD grinding noise from front drive unit.

sarg13

Threads
Yes I might have to see if any nasties in the oil, could an out of sync adjustment cause this from front to rear wheels.
don’t think it’s the drive pulley as isolating front drive stops the noise, but will check just in case.

sarg13

Threads
Well I drained the oil from front and rear drive units, oil was very black, removed rear filter and found grass seeds in it and some metal particles, like small teeth….not good…..the filter looked awful, never been changed, has had a hard life before I got it…..see pics.
will remove front unit and open it up tomorrow.

Attachments

• 6C56EBD0-E273-4951-ADC0-C51BDEA4D62F.jpeg
    6C56EBD0-E273-4951-ADC0-C51BDEA4D62F.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 0
  • A4047685-9A81-4AE2-96E9-A3D005B91AB4.jpeg
    A4047685-9A81-4AE2-96E9-A3D005B91AB4.jpeg
    899.2 KB · Views: 0

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW
Hydros are manufactured in a dust free environment and need to be repaired in the the same
I get mine done by a chappy in Smeaton Grange Sydney who does an excellent job for a reasonable price
On the rare occasions I do one myself, I run the unit for a long enough to get it quite hot then change the oil just to be on the safe side
an extra $ 50 for oil is nothing compared to the cost of a warranty service.
You have quite a rare mower in OZ and one of the very few Husqvarna products that I would recommend to my customers .
The Stigas are actually better but the Stiga distributor down here changes more often that I change my undies thus parts are a nightmare so I generally order them from the UK $$$$$$$ or rather ( ££££££££ )
And use synthetic oil, it is the only place on a mower where it makes a real difference .

sarg13

Threads
Thanks for the info, once I get rear trans apart will see what the damage is inside and hopefully its an easy fix.
Hopefully parts are ok to get here.
Cheers

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Broken parts are easy, worn pumps &/or motors aren't
I get my parts from Mulligans in the USA
Tuff Torque have a local distributor but Hydro Gear is handled by Briggs & Stratton Aust who are about as much use as double sided toilet paper.
AFAIK they do not keep any parts , just complete transmissions & refuse to order them in even if you offer to pay up front .
Apparently B & S Aust is the only division of B & S that runs at a profit and that is because they only handle what is profitable for them and do not give a wrinkled rats rectum about what customers need .

sarg13

Threads
Broken parts are easy, worn pumps &/or motors aren't
I get my parts from Mulligans in the USA
Tuff Torque have a local distributor but Hydro Gear is handled by Briggs & Stratton Aust who are about as much use as double sided toilet paper.
AFAIK they do not keep any parts , just complete transmissions & refuse to order them in even if you offer to pay up front .
Apparently B & S Aust is the only division of B & S that runs at a profit and that is because they only handle what is profitable for them and do not give a wrinkled rats rectum about what customers need .
Mmmm...might be a challenge if I needs bits for hydro...I noticed you can't get individual seals for the unit, they make you by a kit....
As you said all about profit..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a bugger when you have a mower that is worth the effort of repairing yet you have to shift heaven & earth to get the parts
As previously mentioned I have found Mulligans to be head & shoulder above any one else for transmission pats.
Better still they have been totally honest with me which is a rare thing now days

sarg13

Threads
It is a bugger when you have a mower that is worth the effort of repairing yet you have to shift heaven & earth to get the parts
As previously mentioned I have found Mulligans to be head & shoulder above any one else for transmission pats.
Better still they have been totally honest with me which is a rare thing now days
Good to know...thanks for the info

sarg13

Threads
Rear trans disassembled, found the thrust bearing on the output drive hydraulic motor near the brake disc end, bearing cage had failed ( see pic) .
the metal fragments in the filter were from the cage, so far no other damage found , looks like the fragment got to the filter before they caused havoc.
As for why the noise was coming from front unit is a mystery, when rear unit had failed.

sarg13

Threads
Local mower shop can get new bearing, but none in country till end of month….seems parts availability is crap here at present. Few other suppliers same issue….China is not producing The goods anymore probably.