R316Ts AWD grinding noise from front drive unit.

sarg13

Threads
I have a husqvarna R316Ts AWD with a tuff torq KTM10lb front transaxle that has started to make a gear or spline grinding slippage noise if you accelerate quickly from stationary position in forward or reverse.if you take off slowly it seems ok. I have just replaced a deck belt pulley that had a faulty bearing and had disengaged the forward and aft drive units so I could push the mower around in the shed. The noise seems to have appeared since I re engaged the drive units and took the mower on a test run. I have confirmed noise is coming from front drive unit, is there any way the manual disengage mechanism may cause this issue. The arm on the disengage rod is moving all the way back to engage position, and I have jacked up the front to confirm the wheels are being driven, noting no noise is present accelerating when wheels are free to turn with no load, on jacks. Maybe just coincidence, any help on this one would be great before I have to pull the drive unit apart……thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let’s look at the simple things first. Remove both front wheels and inspect both the wheel gears and drive gears. Very common for the plastic wheel gears to wear. Also grab the drive gear and see if the axle moves up and down or side to side. This would indicate worn bearings. Wear on these parts would result in the grinding yo are hearing. Let us know what you find.

sarg13

Threads
Thanks Rivets for the info, the wheel gears you mention I gather are inside the drive unit .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, they are molded into the wheels.

sarg13

Threads
Ok, great, will check that out first.

sarg13

Threads
Hi, not sure about plastic gears, just standard axle with key way on these wheels.
0A60E818-8819-488B-96FA-6C5E5C719C75.jpeg5BF4DE05-815A-42E3-970B-5BAC5E7C4D29.jpeg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was wrong and gave you very bad info. Disregard my post as it won’t help you a bit Sorry about that. If you hear grinding you may have to open the hydro, but I could be wrong as I’ve not worked on any of those hydros. Again, sorry for the bad info.

sarg13

Threads
No worries i gathered you were thinking of AWD push mower with plastic drive in wheels.

Zue

Threads
Check to see if the driven pulley on top of the transmission is not loose or slipping first.