R 220T Belt threading?

Haywood

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an R 220T which I bought used. To my surprise the owner's manual does not have a diagram for threading of the belts on the mower. The three look pretty obvious but I am not sure about one thing.

Looking at the illustrated parts list ( http://cdn.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSI/HUSI2012_NAaa/HUSI2012_NAaa__19.pdf ) page 20 belt 1 runs from the engine pulley to an intermediate pulley, belt 2 runs from that intermediate pulley to another intermediate pulley which also houses belt 3 which runs up to the cutting deck.

According to the parts manual belt 3 goes above and belt 2 below on that pulley. This also make some sense as part 18, the belt guide covers only the lower pulley and it is belt 2 which is loosened to disengage the mowing blades.

So I guess the routing is clear but I have one question. Belts 2 and 3 both run more parallel to their next pulley if belt 2 is on the upper pulley and belt 3 on the lower.

Is it possible that the parts manual is incorrect? I reversed the belts and have noticed no problems, although the illustrated routing works too. The belt guide does make me think the manual is correct but asking just to make sure.

Thanks in advance,

Haywood

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belt from engine to intermedite pulley goes on top.
belt from intermediate to deck goes on bottom

Nice mowers for the right lawns.
Closest cut to a reel mower from any rotary.
If you have the timed blades make sure you keep a set of blade shear keys on hand as they snap off real easy.
If you hear any loud clanging from the deck, shut down immediately .flip up the deck and check the key.

Haywood

Forum Newbie
Threads

Bertsmobile1,

Thank you. This does contradict the illustrated parts guide but I have seen numerous errors in manuals before. Are you certain?

Haywood

dhd

Threads

Bertsmobile1,

Thank you. This does contradict the illustrated parts guide but I have seen numerous errors in manuals before. Are you certain?

Haywood

The illustrated parts guide page that shows the belts and pulleys for your R220T is the same exact page as the my parts guide for my R322T AWD.
Both manuals show the wrong belt layout.

As Bertsmobile1 has described ... Belt from engine to intermediate pulley goes on top, belt that goes to the deck goes on the bottom intermediate pulley.
I just checked both of my R322T machines and both are as Bertsmobile1 has described .

Haywood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bertsmobile & DHD,

Thank you both greatly. I was concerned that the belt guide covers only the lower pulley and as the drive belt (to engine) becomes slack when not engaged and so thought the illustartion might be correct. Of course I was thinking that the belt to the cutting deck remains tight--DUH! I forgot that this belt is detached every time the deck is lifted and needs a guide.

I have little experience with lawn mowers as I only moved to a property needing one a couple of years ago. I had an old Craftsman tractor but was unsatisfied with its cutting and mulching abilities. Thought about a zero turn but after a bit of reading loved the abilities of an articulated machine. Did some research and thought a R 120S would be great. I found a R 220T with about 40 hrs use for about $2000 and it has been a real a real joy compared to the old Craftsman. I didn't even know anything about hydostatic transmissions so it was a big surprise and makes mowing so much more enjoyable. That said I am seeing that the 220T is far more complex and was shocked that a service manual is not available so I have had a few doubts about my decision.

I think this forum may make the switch to the R 220T a good decison.

Thanks again for your help,

Haywood

The illustrated parts guide page that shows the belts and pulleys for your R220T is the same exact page as the my parts guide for my R322T AWD.
Both manuals show the wrong belt layout.

As Bertsmobile1 has described ... Belt from engine to intermediate pulley goes on top, belt that goes to the deck goes on the bottom intermediate pulley.
I just checked both of my R322T machines and both are as Bertsmobile1 has described .