Quits running when hot

michtom

Threads
Snapper 281123bve with newer engine 13.5 intek. I just bought this used and am having issues where it quits running after about 10 minutes. I’ve tried cleaning the carburetor and loosening the gas cap. I also checked for spark. Not as blue as I would like but seems good enough. Anyone have any suggestions?

logert gogert

Threads
aft
Snapper 281123bve with newer engine 13.5 intek. I just bought this used and am having issues where it quits running after about 10 minutes. I’ve tried cleaning the carburetor and loosening the gas cap. I also checked for spark. Not as blue as I would like but seems good enough. Anyone have any suggestions?
after it stops running, how long do you have to wait before you can start it again?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How does it stop ?
Dead like you turned it off ( suggests electrical problem )
Splutters a bit like running out of fuel ( suggests exactly that )

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have spark after 10 mins?
Water in the gas? I like that one. I think Rivets preaches that one, water in the gas deal. Someone does.....
Does your engine have a fuel pump? Remove the hose AT the carb inlet. See after 10 mins you have good fuel flow INTO the carb.
Cylinder block cooling fins dirty/oily? Not directly related but should be checked yearly.

slomo

michtom

Threads
It’s like you turned it off. But, I still had spark

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In that case look at the safety switches.
Particularly an oil level switch if it has one.
After that the reverse switch would be prime culprit
Check that the transmission is still bolted up solid.
Some times a seat switch can do the same thing

If you have an electric clutch check the battery is being charged as voltage drop will cause the fuel solenoid to shut off after running a while.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a spark gap tester like this.
And test the ignition system. You should be able to get a blue spark across 1/4" gap. If you don't the coil is going bad. When engine quits running use tester again. Will it jump a 1/4" gap when hot? If. It bad coil.

Removing the spark plug and laying against ground and checking for spark across the .025-.030 gap is not a good test of the system.

michtom

Threads
Today I tried starting it and it had a long crank and finally fired. But, ran with very low rpms. I tried spraying carb cleaner in carb to get rpms up but it stalled. While cranking again I noticed fuel coming out of the carburetor. I took apart the carburetor and found the big gasket on the float body is swollen along with a couple of o rings. Ordered a new carburetor hoping this will take care of the problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just repaired an 310000 engine last week where the fuel solenoid was dropping out a few minutes where the wire terminals were just tight enough cold to make contact but they heated up contact was lost.