Questions - TimeCutter MX 5475

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Just installed the drain plugs on both sides this afternoon and mowed the yard, and WOW what a difference using Amsoil 20W-50 Synthetic Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid makes! View attachment 67107

The trannys are nice and quite, they are more responsive so changing the fluid definitely fixed my issue.

The problem I was having was after mowing for about 30 minutes, the trannys literally quit pulling and were making a terrible whining sound. This happened twice when the mower got warmed up and I had to leave it in the yard for 30 to 45 minutes for it to cool down and then I could move it again.

Apparently the fluid that came in my mower oiriginally has degraded and could not longer take the heat. I just bought my mower brand new in June of 2020

So, rather than going thru the foolishness of taking the trannys out of the mower just to be able to drain the fluid and be able to put in new fluid... like the guy in the video I posted above... I just drilled a couple of holes, cut some threads and install plugs.

Now, I'll be able to service my tranny easily by removing the drain lugs to drain it... which is how it should have come from the factory. Obviously by making the tranny "non-serviceable" they hope to make some money off of people or even sell them a new mower!

Anyway, it was an easy fix and I'm back in bidness!
View attachment 67108
These days, very few if any shops, will rebuild a hydro pump or transaxle. I have done it a few times in the past, and is a labor intensive undertaking. It is remove and replace. Just like few, if any shops will rebuild engines (same labor issue).

KM Richards

Threads
In my reading up on all this, I found several individuals out there that do lawn mower repair that you can ship your trannys to and they'll rebuild them considerably cheaper than buying new ones.

Besides, a lot of the guys that use their mowers commercially get long time service out of them if they use synthetic motor oil and tranny oil which is what I'm doing.

The only remaining issue I'm experiencing with my mower is... occasionally something to do with the safety seat switch acts up and when I start the mower and bring the levers in to start driving it it kills the engine.... but it only does it ever so often and not frequently.

If it ever becomes a big problem I'll have to figure out a way to bypass this system which I don't need anyway being a grown adult knowing to turn the blades off before getting off the mower all all.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
In my reading up on all this, I found several individuals out there that do lawn mower repair that you can ship your trannys to and they'll rebuild them considerably cheaper than buying new ones.

Besides, a lot of the guys that use their mowers commercially get long time service out of them if they use synthetic motor oil and tranny oil which is what I'm doing.

The only remaining issue I'm experiencing with my mower is... occasionally something to do with the safety seat switch acts up and when I start the mower and bring the levers in to start driving it it kills the engine.... but it only does it ever so often and not frequently.

If it ever becomes a big problem I'll have to figure out a way to bypass this system which I don't need anyway being a grown adult knowing to turn the blades off before getting off the mower all all.

Sure, there are shops that specialize in rebuilding hydros, transaxles, engines, starters, alternators, and the list goes on.

If a person is willing to physically remove the hydro, transaxle, engine, etc., and ship it, wait, and the install it again, that is an option. I would say very few people are willing to do that. Most of my customers are lucky if they will remove a spark plug, much less a transaxle. Don’t get me wrong, I love my customers, I am simply saying people don’t want to get involved and know very little mechanic wise these days.

Many hydros and transaxles go hundreds and hundreds of hours of operation, often with little to no maintenance.

I run a one person small engine repair shop, and am very busy. If you were in my shoes, I doubt you would want to deal with rebuilding engines and transaxles, and hydros when the phone is ringing off the hook, and the floor needs to be swept. If business was lean and I needed the work, I would do what it takes. As it is, the demand for outdoor power equipment is very steady for me year around. The support I have received locally by my customers is truly appreciated, and they are grateful for my skills and solid service.

KM Richards

Threads
Many hydros and transaxles go hundreds and hundreds of hours of operation, often with little to no maintenance.

Well, mine was brand new in June of 202 when I bought it... and the fluid in the trannys played out after about 3 mowing seasons and I am only using mine to mow my yard (no commercial use). And with the drought we had this year, the grass died and I didn't mow all summer long, just a few times in the spring,

So mine doesn't hall all that many hours (it doesn't have an hour counter). It's pretty sad that this happened and the fluid didn't last longer. So, I'm glad I found that video!

The Amsoil 20W-50 Synthetic Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid I'm using now is designed to last up to 3 times longer than the manufacture's recommended changing intervals... whenever that is. The User Manual for my mower does not say anything about changing the tranny fluid

Since Amsoil make a superior product, I should be able to go 2 years between tranny fluid changes. But, I'll know if the fluid is going bad cause it was whining a lot before and the whining got worse the longer I mowed,

So once I hear that I'll know it's time to change the oil... but with using the Amsoil I doubt it'll degrade anytime soon so I'll just change it every couple of years.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Yep,
A bod just 20 minutes drive away machines the valve plate & piston chest , reassembles with new seals & filters and purges the units for $ 400 to $ 600 ( AUS )
The wholesale price of a drop in pump / motor unit starts at $ 800 so he gets a lot of work from me
I did not ask for any trade discount just that he warrants them for 12 months which he will do for me .
Customer gets his invoice & I get a removal & replace fee
Works for me .