Pull cord housing is riveted on!

Frustrated

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have an MTD mower with a Briggs & Stratton 675 series engine. It wouldn't start today, and I may have pulled the pull cord too hard, it didn't break, it's only 3 years old, but now it seems that whatever it was attached to inside the mower, is not connected anymore, there's no resistance. I tried taking the cover off, but the housing for the pull cord assembly seems to be riveted on! If so, how do I get it off to get access to it?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi,
I have an MTD mower with a Briggs & Stratton 675 series engine. It wouldn't start today, and I may have pulled the pull cord too hard, it didn't break, it's only 3 years old, but now it seems that whatever it was attached to inside the mower, is not connected anymore, there's no resistance. I tried taking the cover off, but the housing for the pull cord assembly seems to be riveted on! If so, how do I get it off to get access to it?

Take the whole engine cover off as one piece and you can get to it.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have to remove the shroud (engine cover) to access the recoil. Sounds like you broke the rewind spring.

mullins87

Threads
Does the rope rewind back into the housing? If so, then I'd bet that one-way clutch is broken. I have no idea what it's officially called.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are no clutches on this engine.

aandpdan

Threads
There are no clutches on this engine.

There is on the starter. It'll look something like this. Part #459 is a plastic starter pawl.

You may be better off just replacing the whole thing. Post a model # and type code.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, when replacing ropes on these mowers, I just drill out the rivets anyway, since it sounds like you will have to replace the starter anyway,
just drill out the rivets with a 3/16" bit. You might have to buy a cheap pop rivet gun, but you need one anyway.........

mullins87

Threads
There is on the starter. It'll look something like this. Part #459 is a plastic starter pawl.

You may be better off just replacing the whole thing. Post a model # and type code.

Thank you very much. I had no idea what that part was called, and was too lazy to look it up last night.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have to take the cover off what ever you do. When you have the cover off, try turning the pulley in the direction it would normally turn when you pull the rope. If you feel resistance after five revolutions the spring is good and all you have to do is replace the rope. If you call the plastic area of the pulley, which has the starter pawls in, the clutch so be it. Before buying a new starter, check to see what the problem is. Repairing, even in a shop most times is cheaper.