PTO Switch Melting

kimberlytrader

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gravely 260Z. PTO switch failed so I ordered and installed a new one. It lasted about 3 hours and it failed. The common terminal on the PTO end of the switch is melted. Looked at a couple of videos on you tube and found the most common reason they fail is a shorted pto clutch. Clutch checks out at 2.2 ohms which I guess they are normal between 2 and 4 ohms. Any ideas what I am dealing with? Is it possible the clutch gets hot and then shorts out? Is there something else that could cause this? I don't want to buy another switch without fixing the problem. I see I can order a heavy duty 10amp switch so makes me think this might be a common problem.Thanks for any help!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you get a quality switch? Or a cheaphone one from amazon?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only the one terminal melted? Most likley the terminal on the wire has a corroded connection with the terminal or the terminal itself is corroded. Look at the contact in the plug. You probably. Eed to replace it.

kimberlytrader

Forum Newbie
Threads
Only the one terminal melted? Most likley the terminal on the wire has a corroded connection with the terminal or the terminal itself is corroded. Look at the contact in the plug. You probably. Eed to replace it.
Don't see any corrosion. Definitely need a new plug it melted the side out of this one.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You probably got a partially short PTO clutch coil. I have seen them to up to 20 amps and still work; although, they start melting down connectors and switches. Using an ohm check the PTO clutch coil to see the if the resistance is below 1.7 ohms . If so replace the PTO clutch assembly along whatever components that are also fried.

kimberlytrader

Forum Newbie
Threads
You probably got a partially short PTO clutch coil. I have seen them to up to 20 amps and still work; although, they start melting down connectors and switches. Using an ohm check the PTO clutch coil to see the if the resistance is below 1.7 ohms . If so replace the PTO clutch assembly along whatever components that are also fried.
I checked it is 2.2 ohms.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then as mention one or more the F56 Packard terminals maybe fitting loose due a broken spring hinge contact.