Export thread

PTO Switch Melting

K

kimberlytrader

I have a Gravely 260Z. PTO switch failed so I ordered and installed a new one. It lasted about 3 hours and it failed. The common terminal on the PTO end of the switch is melted. Looked at a couple of videos on you tube and found the most common reason they fail is a shorted pto clutch. Clutch checks out at 2.2 ohms which I guess they are normal between 2 and 4 ohms. Any ideas what I am dealing with? Is it possible the clutch gets hot and then shorts out? Is there something else that could cause this? I don't want to buy another switch without fixing the problem. I see I can order a heavy duty 10amp switch so makes me think this might be a common problem.Thanks for any help!

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Did you get a quality switch? Or a cheaphone one from amazon?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Only the one terminal melted? Most likley the terminal on the wire has a corroded connection with the terminal or the terminal itself is corroded. Look at the contact in the plug. You probably. Eed to replace it.

K

kimberlytrader

Did you get a quality switch? Or a cheaphone one from amazon?
No cheapie It was an OEM switch from a Gravely dealer

K

kimberlytrader

Only the one terminal melted? Most likley the terminal on the wire has a corroded connection with the terminal or the terminal itself is corroded. Look at the contact in the plug. You probably. Eed to replace it.
Don't see any corrosion. Definitely need a new plug it melted the side out of this one.

StarTech

StarTech

You probably got a partially short PTO clutch coil. I have seen them to up to 20 amps and still work; although, they start melting down connectors and switches. Using an ohm check the PTO clutch coil to see the if the resistance is below 1.7 ohms . If so replace the PTO clutch assembly along whatever components that are also fried.

K

kimberlytrader

You probably got a partially short PTO clutch coil. I have seen them to up to 20 amps and still work; although, they start melting down connectors and switches. Using an ohm check the PTO clutch coil to see the if the resistance is below 1.7 ohms . If so replace the PTO clutch assembly along whatever components that are also fried.
I checked it is 2.2 ohms.

StarTech

StarTech

Then as mention one or more the F56 Packard terminals maybe fitting loose due a broken spring hinge contact.