PTO Clutch Locked out

rajthepilot

Threads
Hi All,

Last year the PTO clutch locked up and because of this, I couldn't start the engine as the engine wouldn't turn over. The repair shop nearby told me to order a new PTO clutch and I did and they replaced it. I only used the PTO for 19.1 hours this year and the mower stopped again while running. The repair shop said it's the same issue and that the PTO clutch has locked up. Briggs and Stratton's authorized dealer nearby me won't cover it under warranty as they weren't the ones who removed it from the mower themselves.

I'm really surprised that the clutch would have an issue in just 19.1 hours. I tried removing the clutch as well and I couldn't get it off and the shop said it wasn't easy removing it as well.

A new clutch costs about $430 and I'm wondering if there was an issue during installation that may caused it or there is perhaps a different issue with the mower that led to the clutch getting locked up. I'd hate to have this expensive repair done only to get the clutch locked up again.

Bertrrr

Threads
Pull the wires " connection " Off the clutch, Start your mower - this will eliminate the pto from your machine, if all goes well , let us know and we'll go forward from there, I've never seen a PTO locking up in all my previous mechanical issues. ----------- especially 2 times on the same machine ,,,,,,,,there is something else going on in my opinion

rajthepilot

Threads
So the clutch had to be completely removed, otherwise the engine wouldn't turn over.

Bertrrr

Threads
The clutch has electric engagement so pulling the connection off takes it out of play , if it still binds up the engine so it will not start,,,,,,,, either you have a battery or connection problem or possibly an engine problem.
It's possible the clutch is causing the problem but to be honest if the blades are not in a loaded state , ,, like cutting a tall bunch of grass it should still start and run.
What you're saying is the engine is fine with no clutch in play so the engine sounds like it's fine, In my opinion you should still be able to start the machine with it stuck in the engaged position

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Lets start with the brand on exact model of mower so we know what you are talking about. At this point we know it is a mower with an electric clutch. What engine, what mower.

rajthepilot

Threads
The mower is Snapper Pro S200XT Professional, Model # 5901280
Engine is Briggs & Stratton, Model # 49T877, Type 0010G1, Code 160107YG. Engine Serial # 16 0107 YG 97606
The clutch Part # 5105090YP

rajthepilot

Threads
The problem is similar to what is shown in this youtube video -

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would be either suspecting the charging system is overcharging causing coil overheat possibly damaging the bearings or overtorque of the crankshaft bolt causing a side load on the bearings causing failure. But could of just been a faulty clutch. been having issues with parts not working out of the box lately.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As IL said it can be a number that cause the bearing to fail so early. You have apparently the 61" deck which use the Warner 5218-134 PTO clutch. I would be installing the Xtreme X0216 clutch this time which a much better clutch. But voltage must checked and clutch must be burnish in. PTO retaining bolt is torqued to 55 ft-lbs.

From Xtreme installation sheet.
1718923793918.png

Last edited:

rajthepilot

Threads
I would be either suspecting the charging system is overcharging causing coil overheat possibly damaging the bearings or overtorque of the crankshaft bolt causing a side load on the bearings causing failure. But could of just been a faulty clutch. been having issues with parts not working out of the box lately.
So can you suggest how this can be tested? Should I check voltage at a particular location to see if it is over charging? And what about overtorque, is there anyway the repair shop can test that?