PTO barley turning

Demons15

Threads
I came in possession of a hustler fastrak z 42. The original Honda engine blew so the owner replaced with a Briggs and Stratton. He gave up when it came to wiring it all up.
Fast forward and I got all the wires hooked up. Everything starts up fine but now when I engage the PTO switch, the blades hardly turn.
Is my clutch bad?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start with the fuse 15 A . these corrode or go bad at the connections
No difference
Unplug the PTO and jump the wires directly from the battery ( or any other 12 V battery, I use a motorcycle battery )
works properly = good PTO & Bad wiring
if that works then go to the PTO switch pull the plug and connect the Orange to the Orange/Red ( If I have the correct wiring diagram )
I use some short wires with a blade terminal at both ends
The mower should start & run with the PTO switch unplugged
BE warned that this is a power circuit so those are insulated blade terminals orange/red first then the hot Orange wire
If the PTO still turns slowly when connected directly to a good 12V battery then the PTO is trashed
The lower bearing goes bad
They are not replaceable

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Did you check the deck belt tension spring setting? Depending the actual model number the spring length setting could be 7.5" up to 10". Without the proper tension the deck belt will slip.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The lower bearing goes bad
They are not replaceable
Strange in my 14yrs I have yet to see a lower bearing bad. Multiple upper bearings bad.

And those bearing can be replaced just takes some special tools that most of us don't have. Since there is no real market for them they are very rare. Factories have the staking tools. And Xtreme for makes the replacement PTO clutches with replaceable bearings.

Matter of fact I just did a Cadillac driveshaft with what were not replaceable u-joints but they came out with the tools to remove the staking and to restake the new u-joint bearings.

Demons15

Threads
Swapped out the PTO clutch with a used one had laying around. It was the problem and got it fixed. Then the PTO bolt fell out on me. Embarrassing but I didn’t tighten to bolt good enough and feel out while running.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Glad you got it worked out. Now just take the old part and see what was wrong with it.
As the PTO bolt depending on the bolt size.
1687043879194.png
No impacts.