ProTurn 148 with Kawasaki self-chokes

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the carb and inspect the main jet.

Have you ever, pulled the engine cover, and cleaned the cooling fins and block?

Down on power quoted below.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Really got to narrow the cause as it can be fuel supply, carburation, or even a failing ignition system.

The twin barrel Nikki due develop loose main jets which can cause over rich conditions. But with bogging engaging the deck it sounds like you are dropping a cylinder.

pict1000

Threads
Really got to narrow the cause as it can be fuel supply, carburation, or even a failing ignition system.

The twin barrel Nikki due develop loose main jets which can cause over rich conditions. But with bogging engaging the deck it sounds like you are dropping a cylinder.

So if I might be "dropping a cylinder", what can I do to check for that and/or fix it?

pict1000

Threads
I have all but eliminated a fuel supply problem. Tomorrow I'll be testing to see if a cylinder is dropping. I have an ignition coil assembly ordered and on the way because all indications (not listed here) lead to that. I will update this when I learn something – for the sake of future Googlers.

pict1000

Threads
The problem has been fixed. I replaced the ignition coil assembly that tested bad, and I spliced a severed kill wire that led to both coil packs.

When I lifted the engine cover to get to the coil packs, I saw that the kill wire was broken. Weird, right! No rodent marks or signs of heat-related damage. Since the engine has been hard to turn off ever since I bought the mower (new, ten years ago), I assume the factory guy didn't secure the kill wire properly, allowing it to move around and be chopped by the spinning flywheel the first time I used the mower. Who knows.

The engine kills as it should now.

I hope that the electrical tape I used to splice the kill wire isn't going to melt. I didn't know if I should use a plastic wire nut or electrical tape. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all of your help!!!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I use butt connectors myself or better crimp a Ferrel on the wires and cover with heat shrink tubing to make a neater job.

pict1000

Threads
Thanks, if I ever go back in there – for instance, if my electrical tape splice fails – then I'll take your advice, for sure.